Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
gmandave

First attempt at fanwinged adams

Think I used too much hackle and tail. Less is more, etc. I love the fanwing look. Been tying about 6 months now, and thought I should pop in again. How is everyone doing out there?

-Dave

post-43402-0-23876000-1348798101_thumb.jpgpost-43402-0-85962700-1348798081_thumb.jpgpost-43402-0-45057200-1348798110_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

I'm no expert on fanwings, but the wing might be just a little too wide in relation to the fly size. Here's a pic of some old size 14 fanwing Coachmans with some loose fanwing feathers that they used to sell quite a while ago. I stuck a ruler at the bottom so it will give you a good idea of what size the feathers are. I'm pretty sure the fly's were commercially tied way back. They're a little mangled since they have sat in the same flybox for 50 plus years.

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-97761400-1348839615_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

I'm no expert on fanwings, but the wing might be just a little too wide in relation to the fly size. Here's a pic of some old size 14 fanwing Coachmans with some loose fanwing feathers that they used to sell quite a while ago. I stuck a ruler at the bottom so it will give you a good idea of what size the feathers are. I'm pretty sure the fly's were commercially tied way back. They're a little mangled since they have sat in the same flybox for 50 plus years.

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-97761400-1348839615_thumb.jpg

Oh wow! The are smaller. Mine is tied on a size 10 using a McPhail YouTube video as a guide. The wings are from a waspi starter kit.

Someone was asking about moth patterns a while ago. I think, with the larger wings and the extra hackle, you might have a Gman's Fanwinged Sphynx Moth ... you might have invented a new fly!!!