Fly Tying
SILKHDH

FLY TYING TOOLS YOU MADE YOURSELF

Thats what I sort of did. I cut the head off one. Then glued and wrapped some Velcro around it. You then get to use all sides of the brush.

One of the popular dubbing teasers around here is a popsicle stick with the hooks from Velcro stuck to it.

I've posted these before. One is a modified arm for a Peak vise that was 3D printed using stainless steel. The next is a vise made from scratch using natural materials and 3D printed jaws. The last is a 3D printed ABS plastic clip to keep the wire on spools from uncoiling off the spool.

post-37228-0-07991900-1479054100_thumb.jpg

post-37228-0-73328400-1479055300_thumb.jpeg

post-37228-0-26049700-1479055349_thumb.jpg

I LOVE that antler vice...So far beyond what i tried to make in middle school. Curtis Creek Manifesto goes 21st century. I want one REAL bad.

Thanks DrVette. None of them are hard to do. As a doctor you surely know that whether you decide to buy or build something, all you need is patients.

WOW! I like all 3. Your vise is something showoff for sure. Its a piece of art. Im not into 3D printing...But it looking like maybe I should.

Thanks DrVette. None of them are hard to do. As a doctor you surely know that whether you decide to buy or build something, all you need is patients.

Any chance you might share the data file for the 3-D on that? My computer skills suck rocks. The only way i could get that made is if i am led by the nose.

I tried to learn about 3-D printing a few years ago. I realized real fast that it is way beyond my skills. But i might still have access to a couple of printers. Exactly what do i need to source?

BTW...I was a Med Tech briefly, but i choose that name for my custom car building. Not a doctor. Nor PhD.

Another thought; What kind of antler is that? It looks almost moose at the base but elk in the prongs??? This piece confuses me.

Another thought; What kind of antler is that? It looks almost moose at the base but elk in the prongs??? This piece confuses me.

Looks like whitetail deer to me. :)

Nice brush maker cream. I plan to make one of those some day. I have a Nor-vise I made with dubbing brush tray I use for now.

post-19822-0-04559400-1479219730_thumb.jpg

http://www.shapeways.com/product/2RF3VN5NK/fly-vise-jaws?optionId=58780798

DrVette, here is a link to a company that will print my vise jaw design for you. Due to the liberal tolerances of 3D printed parts, a little reworking of the threaded insert hole may be required.

Fisherboy is right, the antler is from a small whitetail buck that I bagged many years ago.

I've made my own popsicle stick & Velcro dubbing brush , dubbing needles

I don't know how to explain it but the best thing I've made is templates for trimming deer hair bass bugs out of posterboard and acetate. I don't have any examples right now because I lost them all. But I'm about to make some more and when I do I'll post them

Here are two bobbin threaders made from melting monofilament line. Put a handle on one to aid in picking it up from mess on desk, use the other if I want to pull the material from the spool end of the bobbin.

Pretty weak contribution after viewing the dubbing brush maker and the 3-D printed works of art but gotta start somewhere

bobbinThreaders693.JPG

http://www.shapeways.com/product/2RF3VN5NK/fly-vise-jaws?optionId=58780798

DrVette, here is a link to a company that will print my vise jaw design for you. Due to the liberal tolerances of 3D printed parts, a little reworking of the threaded insert hole may be required.

Fisherboy is right, the antler is from a small whitetail buck that I bagged many years ago.

Sounds like a quick tap chase to fix the threads. I was surprised by the end to be epoxied in. I thought it would be threaded and i might have to insert a blind nut or something.

Does the epoxy method seem to hold-up well? And since it is stainless can i sand, buff, and polish it? The cost is probably the same as renting printer time. I wonder why they charge more for black???

The threaded insert acts as a nut and just slips into a hole in the jaws. However, the hole may have to be opened up with a drill. No tap will be required.

I used JB Weld. It's not coming out.

The stainless steel can be sanded and polished.

No idea why black cost more.