Fly Tying
dontheo

Looking for Substitute Material

Hello all, it's been awhile. My last rant was on going back to the way it was before and trying to tie as much with natural materials as possible. So, during spring cleaning, I unloaded all my synthetics. Now I have taken to the surf with Clousers and was wondering if there is a substitute for some flash material. Don't bust my chops, I know already(lol).

I have some mylar and was going to shred some of that but I don't think it will last very long as a surf fly. I was even thinking of using some old french tinsel?

Any ideas?

The good news is that it extends the season here in Texas.

Thanks

The Don

So your back on the synthetic stuff? If you are then seriously look at the fishscales stuff. If you still staying au natural, JC eyes will provide that UV flash but I'm not convinced how well they'll hold up to the salt species.

Look for mylar tubing and christmas tinsel at your local stores to add flash. Or add some micro glitter to your head cement.

Walmarts have alot of flashy stuff in the crafts area and the sewing area. Buy a small piece of mylar lame in the sewing area and pick out the mylar strands if you need micro flash. What part of the state are you in?

Lots and lots of different types of synthetic flashy stuff available these days. Here are the ones I use the most when filling orders for guides and shops (not necessarily in any order...). Flashabou Accent (the fat pack) in pearl will do for almost any purpose (and it won't curl up and die on you if things get hot the way ordinary Flashabou will). Original Flashabou (also in Pearl -although I do find some uses for gold, silver, pearlescent pink or chartreuse). The latest version of Flashaou, called Holographic Flashabou (in all the previously listed colors). Next, but rarely used for fly tying, is some stuff Wapsi lists as Holographic fly fiber (it usually comes in two colors -one on each side, I like the gold/silver). The stuff's a bit stiff for ordinary fly tying but it's killer for bucktail jigs.... I'll stop here since this only scratches the surface..

Here's a tip for anyone that uses more than a strand or two of flash in any application.... take half of the fibers you're wanting and as a bundle wrap them around the barrel of your bobbin (after you've already started tying and the thread is secured to the hook - wherever you're wanting to add flash...). From that position just slide the bundle from the bobbin onto the thread, then onto the fly and if you're able to stagger each end of the bundle as it doubles into place. The flash is permanently anchored and with ends staggered really shows well in the water....as you continue wrapping the thread into the next step.....

If you have a Dollar Tree store nearby as they mylar in bags. It is more stronger then the Christmas tinsel.

Natural would be peacock herl which i use a lot on my natural material flies.

Can't beat white, for natural flash on a darker colored background. Back before Senkos came into existence, I used to fish long strips of leather. I'd hook them through the front tip with a wire-guarded weedless hook, weightless, and let them slowly fall through the water near structure. I still use this method in pressured waters, and the bass love them. Black or white leather were always my go to colors.

I would think that slender strips of leather would give you something like rubber legs, or in contrasting colors to the main material, a flash effect of sorts.