Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dawgvet

How to use biots for bodies?

Bought some dyed goose biots to try making biot bodies for dry flies. Main question is do I use the long side biots or the shorter biots on the leading edge of the feather? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Jed

i just bookmark stuff when i find it. not many folks seem to do that. i also ask GOOGLE alot of questions

and use turkey biots, they are longer

Take a biot and tie it on a thin wire egg type hook. Tye it on the thick side with the pointed side out like the body of a may fly. Tye wings of antron, wood duck or whatever and then tye a parachute hackle and walla a great simple low riding mayfly. I have not seen anyone else tye this way with a biot.

Hmm; I wondered what you freshwater trout guys did with those biots, I did something similar with condor quills over forty years ago. I guess i'm behind the times. But never to old to learn.

Soaking the biots, as well as feather quills for bodies, in warm water with a few drops of glycerine in it softens them, and makes them much easier to work with. Once soaked, keep them between layers of damp paper towel to maintain the flexibility.

I soak quills before using them but not biots. I do like to put a drop of head cement on the thread base before wrapping the biot. Hold everything together nicely.

Pulled these pics from the Rusty Spinner SBS

take a moistened goose biot (turkey works well, too, but I think the goose provides better looking segmentation); the moisture makes them more flexible and less prone to cracking while winding; putting the notch side down makes the segmentation stand out - if you'd rather have it smooth, make it notch side up

IMG_1053.jpg

tie in

IMG_1056.jpg

grab biot with hackle pliers and wind forward; here's the segmentation I was talking about - fish don't seem to care either way, I just think it looks cool

IMG_1058.jpg

Regards,

Scott

I only moisten the goose biots. Turkey biots seem more flexible and don’t seem to need it. I typically use the goose biots for size 16 and smaller bodies and turkey for 16 and large

photobucket-568-1337781001748.jpg

photobucket-5476-1339272705396.jpg

2012-09-01_00-51-21_187.jpg