Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
siestafred

Pompano patterns ?

I've caught Pomps on Merkins and similar patterns but I was wondering what else works. I know the spin guys use "jig" lures a lot (which imitate sand fleas) and thought perhaps someone has come up with a "jig" type fly that works.

Thanks......Fred

I was just looking at a new pattern for a sand fleas. It is a cobina crusher used in Southern californis surf. I was going to make some and try it for black drum.

This a copy that I tied of a sandflea I purchased

My Fly

IMG_1708.jpg

Here is the one you can buy, I think he charges $3.25 for it at Lowcountry Fly Shop

SandfleaStore.jpg

Hope these work

Simon O

I've caught Pomps on Merkins and similar patterns but I was wondering what else works. I know the spin guys use "jig" lures a lot (which imitate sand fleas) and thought perhaps someone has come up with a "jig" type fly that works.

Thanks......Fred

Dave (Panama Red) will probably chime in Fred. He is a Pompano Master and Im sure he got some tricks up his sleeve. He also has some other stuff up his sleeve too but I suggest not asking about it :lol: :huh:

Here is one that seems cool. Not a clue if it works, but what the hell! http://stuartflyfishing.blogspot.com/2008/12/pompano-fly-gold-digger.html

The guys that I know who fish pomps with fly... invariably use extra short winged clousers with size medium or larger lead eyes. We're talking #1 or smaller hooks, wings of fl. chartreuse, or fl. pink (or an awful combination of those two colors) and like folks from Key West... you can argue all night over which one will be on top.... Seriously go to Florida Sportsman magazine and look up articles by Mike Connors - for a few years he was their fly department editor (and a skilled fly angler and guide). Any articles by him about pompano on fly are well worth reading. Here's a bug of my own that will work - but you really need to shorten the wing as much as possible.... The color pattern of this fly, the Neon Bendback is another color scheme that will work well on Clousers tied with medium and larger lead eyes for pomps... Once again keep the wing on any pompano fly as short as possible (I try to have no more than 1/8 to 1/4 of wing extending past the bend of the hook....

\

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

post-30940-0-49858400-1353714626_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention the Neon Bendback was originally designed as a pattern for trout, reds, and snook in murky water. That's just short of muddy water where I'd choose an all pink fly...

Looked at your profile and noticed your in the Sarasota area. Go to one your local baitshops that sells those black blood worms (a native species to that part of Florida) and "check" them out. I have caught and seen others catch pompano,redfish and some large sheepshead on these fat blackish brown worms in and around Sarasota and Tampa Bay. Easy way to tie one up is very simple; a fat black or very dark brown woolie booger, minus the hackle, with a solid black dumbel tied as you would a Clouser (so the hook rides up). I also have recently posted a mole crab pattern which is a "sandflea". If you have any ???'s about it. Just E-mail-Phil

Hey, I am new here and have just started reading these posts. I live in the Panhandle of Florida and I would think that some Epoxy headed Bonefish flies. Fast sinking Shrimp patterns. Clousers tied heavy with pink or orange fish hair tails. Or weighted Silver spoon flies all should get it done. I have not targeted them on fly yet, but I have fished for them from the pier on spinning tackle.

Thanks guys, what a great response !!

I tied up a couple based on your suggestions and I'll try to post photos later.

Hopefully getting out tomorrow so I'll get to fish them.

Cheers....Fred

Capt Bob thanks for the comment about "Neon" Clousers. We use Pink/Chartreuse here for trout a lot so adding a bit more color should make it interesting !

So these puppies are all going to get a workout tomorrow....

Cheers.....Fred

Pomp2.jpg

Pomp3.jpg

Pomp1.jpg

Pomp4.jpg

Hey, I am new here and have just started reading these posts. I live in the Panhandle of Florida and I would think that some Epoxy headed Bonefish flies. Fast sinking Shrimp patterns. Clousers tied heavy with pink or orange fish hair tails. Or weighted Silver spoon flies all should get it done. I have not targeted them on fly yet, but I have fished for them from the pier on spinning tackle.

Those are all great pomp patterns, I also like short tied batfish patterns when they are working the flats.

Where in the Panhandle?

Capt Bob thanks for the comment about "Neon" Clousers. We use Pink/Chartreuse here for trout a lot so adding a bit more color should make it interesting !

So these puppies are all going to get a workout tomorrow....

Cheers.....Fred

Pomp2.jpg

Pomp3.jpg

Pomp1.jpg

Pomp4.jpg

Sweet looking flies Fred, but then you always tie great looking flies! They should work very well in the surf.

Don't listen to Ben, the doctor said the "thing up my sleeve" was not contagious and did not come from the local goat herd :blink:

These are what have worked well for me.

When fish are over broken sand and grass on the flats...Keep'm tied short!

DSCF4025-2.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

P1030652-1.jpg

P1020293.jpg

Number one goto in the surf and deep flats...Simple craft fur shrimp

DSCF4234.jpg

DSCF4232.jpg

Happy Hunting!

DSCF0055.jpg

Good stuff PR ! I can see some more time at the bench coming up....

Any special way to filet Pomps ? Normally I'm all C&R, but maybe the wife should get a treat next time out.

ditz.....unfortunately I never got to go. Something came up... yada yada....

Good stuff PR ! I can see some more time at the bench coming up....

Any special way to filet Pomps ? Normally I'm all C&R, but maybe the wife should get a treat next time out.

ditz.....unfortunately I never got to go. Something came up... yada yada....

No special way Fred, I just start at the head on one side (rt side of fish) and the tail (lt side) on the other. I looked up this video on you tube, it's pretty good. Only thing to remember is to keep as close to the bones around the back and shoulders where the meat is thickest as not to miss any.

the meat is very firm and is great on the grill with butter, olive oil and old bay seasoning...No lemon until after cooking if you like. A little mild white cheese such as mozzarella or jack placed on fish just long enough to melt during cooking with cilantro and fresh chunky salsa with garlic on top....Killer.

We also like to deep fry finger sized chunks... Soak in a light paste of beer, spicy mustard and a little wasabi for about 5-10 minuet, or until you can consume a beer or two :) Then dip in dry Zatarains crispy southern fish fry, then into an egg wash, into panko style bread crumbs and then into 350* peanut oil until golden brown. Horseradish or wasabi, ketchup, and some worcestershire sauce and bam...we eat! Don't forget home made twice fried fries and your adult beverage.