Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
High Rimrock Tom

Hackle and Feather Supply Improving?

I was perusing the fly shop at a local Cabela's a week ago and I noticed that hackle necks had reduced in price by 1/2. Is the supply shortage over, can we again buy quality hackle and other feathers at a reasonable price and selection? The hair highlight/accent conflict really reduced our choices for quite awhile. What's going on in the local 'mom' and 'pop' shops with regards to this? Thank you. HRT

I'd also add the avian influenza and its consequenses into this conversation. Local importer said in private chat that we are now getting over the "pandemia" threat. Masses of birds were slaughtered few years ago due the global fear and precaution regarding avian influenza.

I bought a grizzly varriant Whitings bronze grade a few weeks ago for 40$ at a local shop. I didnt need it but at that price...hell yes im going to buy it! That hair craze junk is done now.

I've been looking for saddle hackle for streamers in silver badger and furnace and haven't had much luck. I did find a nice golden badger saddle on eBay a few weeks ago. It still seems like good hackle is hard to find, at least to me.

Just noticed the "bait fisherman" moniker, LOL. It ain't true !!!

:lol: It is until you get a certain number of posts under your belt...and Welcome to THE forum!

Murray

I read somewhere yesterday, that the hackle growers will need sometime to recover their stock but things are looking up.

Charlie Collins and Bill Keough both had a good selection of hackles at the International Fly Tying Symposium a few weeks ago. The hair extension craze may be over, but now they are fighting high feed costs and higher energy costs. Don't expect hackles to go back down to 2008 prices.

(I picked up a really pretty med. dun cape from Collins.)

of course they won't go back down to 2008 prices, even if feed/energy was the same ( :angry: ) because now we've been conditioned to paying a premium price above what "the market" would bear. Good for the hackle growers-- I don't really buy a LOT of hackle, but the whiting capes I have are astounding, and I don't know how they can sell enough to fly tyers to keep it going- we're not that big of a market.

of course they won't go back down to 2008 prices, even if feed/energy was the same ( :angry: ) because now we've been conditioned to paying a premium price above what "the market" would bear. Good for the hackle growers-- I don't really buy a LOT of hackle, but the whiting capes I have are astounding, and I don't know how they can sell enough to fly tyers to keep it going- we're not that big of a market.

Dont have to be a fly tyer to need hackle, just a fly fisher. I think most feathers still go to the fashion industry in general, even the places like whiting farms sell to fashion market.

It still seems like good hackle is hard to find, at least to me.

Especially good hackles for classic CS-style streamers are hard to find :/

I just picked up couple full saddles, whiting pro grade at 30$ a piece. Black and grizzly

I just picked up couple full saddles, whiting pro grade at 30$ a piece. Black and grizzly

WOW great price! I've got a couple of Whiting pro-grade necks, and they are outstanding for my needs- I'm not worried about having a thousand size 20 hackles.

on the pro-grade saddles, are there any good webbier hackles for buggers? Saddle hackle along the lines of old Metz #2 grade from the late 80s and early 90s were the best wet fly and woolly bugger hackle I've ever encountered- long hackles with not very stiff barbs, in sizes from about 10 to 6. Just can't find it any more. I'm wondering if the pro grade might have it, what do you say?

WOW great price! I've got a couple of Whiting pro-grade necks, and they are outstanding for my needs- I'm not worried about having a thousand size 20 hackles.

on the pro-grade saddles, are there any good webbier hackles for buggers? Saddle hackle along the lines of old Metz #2 grade from the late 80s and early 90s were the best wet fly and woolly bugger hackle I've ever encountered- long hackles with not very stiff barbs, in sizes from about 10 to 6. Just can't find it any more. I'm wondering if the pro grade might have it, what do you say?

My metz saddles are full (at least 30- 12 inch length) of the buggar hackle you are talking abouy. I completely agree with you, about the metz. Unfortunally all my Whitings seems to be lacking those nice long feathers. Only 3 at 8 inch length on the black saddle and none worth mentioning on the grizzly. They are breading that crap out, which I wish they didn't. Those Whiting buggar packs are the next best thing, but even then they don't compare.

I went in to the local shop for hooks and found out everything was 20% off. I love my hackle....it's an addiction....well actually hoarding materials over the years has been.

Yrs ago I found some saddles in a hole in a wall. The lady who ran the corner store/small tackle shop wanted her fly tying material out as they were taking up floor space, I guess for Joe Louis and Pespi's. lol I grabbed 5 complete saddles at 20$ a piece, 3 shades of dun, a silver badger and a black saddle. Those all had they best buggar hackle I have found. Those saddles must of been from pre-90's I assume.

Anyways It seems that complete saddles are slowly coming back to the shops. I have seen a bunch of Metz locally, and some whiting here and there.