Fly Tying
shoebop

Flyfishing envy/prejudice

Since I have went this far off the original topic I will continue and ask one more question. If the ink is made from ashes and toothpaste, couldn't it be harmful? I remember my great grandmother making lye soap and using ashes to get her lye for the process. I know it was hardwood ashes that she used, but does all ash contain lye or just hardwood ash? I don't mean to be difficuly or stupid its just that I was probably skipping that class in school and seemed to have missed an important fact that I could have used later in life. If I don't get an answer to this one I will understand because it is a pretty lame question...

Thats cool! You have me wanting to get interested in tattoos again. When I had my own body shop a couple years ago I had a guy working for me that was a fairly good tattoo artist. I used to take him home sometimes and then hang around and watch. I am interested because I love art and also that he made a pile of money sometimes, not to mention the young ladies that seemed to always be around...I wonder if a stainless airbrush needle could be used in a pinch? I think I would but my inks and guns if I ever decide to do it and leave the handcrafted guns to people such as yourself that know what they are doing.

I figured as much. I hadn't thought about the insurance aspect of it, but there is always someone wanting money for virtually nothing. I remember my friend having to open a new needle each time because the regulations around here wouldn't let him use his sterilizer anymore. I'm still thinking about getting into it because I am tired of working my tail off on cars. I have built too many for rich people that don't appreciate them and just tucks them away in a garage along with the rest of their soon forgotten treasures.

Oh, now we're talking about tattoos?!?!? I have a couple of them ... no sleeves or anything. And let me tell you, my untattooed right arm hates my tattooed left arm. My tattooed left arm thinks my untattooed right arm is a pussy and throws like a girl.

Fortunately, they both like to fish and will, grudgingly, work together when fly fishing.

I have the same issue Mike. My left arm is always telling my right how much of a pansy it is. Just the fore arms though I have a large piec on my right shoulder, my left forearm, and my left bicept and shoulder area. I so desperately want to get my right forearm full sleeve from elbow to cuff. I also know how to buil a jailhouse gun and even how to sharpen staples and set them into the end of some paper rolled up with water and toothpaste for prick and poke tats..... not my proudest days but I know how it works.

Steve

Upon further reflection I will admit I am a bit of a jerk to some terminal guys. Mostly the ones that cruise over in their bass boat to tell me there are no trout in the lake I'm bass fishing in. I tend to tell them that there was a private stocking of the rare and elucive purple spotted orange himilayan sailfin trout about 10 yrs ago and if I could stop these pesky bass from eating my fly on every cast I could catch one of them..... I usually get puzzled looks. Once I had a DNR agent friend of mine ask me to stop telling guys that because they had people calling the district office asking about the purple trout thingy with sail fins....... didn't really stop me but made me laugh pretty hard.

Steve

Interesting topic.

I'd say, in general, I find that most consider fly fishing a more "advanced" application of angling skill. Anything percieved as being more advanced, can come along with a perception of snobery.

That said, I'd say I find any discipline to discipline issues or prejudices to really be between folks who want to go clean out a fishing hole and those who are interested in conservation and the experience overall. For example, a guy who wants to be an amazing bass fisherman develops amazing skills for determining how to locate and find fish based on a myriad of influences. Same deal for a guy who wants to be an amazing fly fisherman.

I think at times, guys see you put a fish back or hear about a river turning to C and R or fly only... they become frustrated that they loose their put and take spot. That creates animocity. But I think that's gradually fading - at least around here in MA it is...

That said, I do find there is a sort of funny prejudice beetween fly guys. There are those that only fish dry's or very small flies who seem to have issues with those who enjoy other styles alone or as well. God forbid you use a strike indicator or fish a dry dropper style set up in some places!

I find that in tying as well. Though I'm not a huge streamer guy, I do enjoy tying them time to time. I also fly fish for a lot of species. At a club demo night once, I was tying a gnarley looking bass fly with bar bell eyes, rabbit strip, ice dub and some of those MFC rubber leg "brushes". The "streamer" guy noted condiscendingly I probably liked to tie wolley buggers as well. Yep - I do, and catskill dries and midges and decievers and wets and.... I like to tie - everything!

Point being, some times it seems fly guys are more snobby to other fly guys than spin fishers are!

Fly fisherman have a monopoly on snobs. Without a doubt. Can any of you remember fishing with a spinning rod and another guy fishing with a spinning rod would bad mouth you for your choice of lure?

Fly fisherman do it all the time, just start talking about using beads or indicators, it flushes out the snobs everytime.

Don't forget the different degrees of snobbery within the fly fishing class. There are those who dare fish with eggs. Pshw! Might as well put a piece of corn on the hook! And nymphs?! Why, that's another name for street walkers; neither have any place in the elite class of fly fishing.

Oh, no, my good men; it's dry flys and winged wet flies only for me. With a bamboo rod. While smoking a pipe.

You bunch of low life fly flippers!!! Fishing with all of your dry flies and wet flies and realistic flies and match-the-freakin-hatch flies.

You ain't fly fishing unless you can get a fish to eat one of these

Which, of course, doesn't look like anything alive or dead on the water. Why, it's like getting a child to eat brussel sprouts by calling it candy.

Now THAT'S fly fishing.

wink.gif

Now now Mike, you know full well that I am also fly fishing when I use my roach pole (ahem sorry) tenkara rod, with a slim float, to which I suspend a tungston weighted worm fly and watch like a hawk for the float to dip under.

I am only taking the mick folks. I think fly fishing is anything where a bit of fluff is trying to fool a fish into biting. How the fluff reaches the fish is where the fun starts.