Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Johnwvan

stonefly nymph wing cases

Hello---have to replenish my stock of stonefly nymphs due to uncontrollable

stream conditions. I have used a turkey wing slip folded, dubbed then folded

again to make wing cases. Is there a template or pre cut wing cases to make them

faster and better looking? Possibly a wing burner of some type.---Thanks---John

J:SON Sweden and renzetti make products for stone fly wing cases

http://www.jsonsweden.com/en/fly-tying

www.renzetti.com

tying tip

tyvek house wrapping paper or envelopes makes good indestructible wing cases. simply cut into a strip, fold in half and trim one end at a 45 degree angle. color with a sharpie marker. instant wing case.

Tyvek is one of the best materials I have ever found for stone nymph wingcases. Tie it in and then color with a sharpie or prisma or copic or whatever. Go to the nearest office store (or wally world) and buy a package of Tyvek envelopes. Cut with scissors to desired width and tie is anhs normal.

Steve

J:SON Sweden and renzetti make products for stone fly wing cases

http://www.jsonsweden.com/en/fly-tying

www.renzetti.com

tying tip

tyvek house wrapping paper or envelopes makes good indestructible wing cases. simply cut into a strip, fold in half and trim one end at a 45 degree angle. color with a sharpie marker. instant wing case.

Thanks for tip on Tyvek.

Hopefully the post office won't frown upon me as the golf store did when I told them I was using the lead tape for fly tying...the look on their face was priceless.

you can also coat wing quill fibers with any of the uv cured resins. a very light coat is all it takes.

don't tell and they shouldn't ask :lol:

Learnt that the hard way.... They asked me if they could calibrate my golf set.....I couldn't resist saying what it was actually for. Soemtimes honnesty is not the best policy.... :)

Learnt that the hard way.... They asked me if they could calibrate my golf set.....I couldn't resist saying what it was actually for. Soemtimes honnesty is not the best policy.... :)

Yeah, well..imagine 40y old, fat, healivy bearded guy buying glass beads and feathers in local hobby store (DIY neclaces, bracelets etc.) trying to look straight and mature.

Yeah, well..imagine 40y old, fat, healivy bearded guy buying glass beads and feathers in local hobby store (DIY neclaces, bracelets etc.) trying to look straight and mature.

Been there done that....lol Fortunately my ex girlfriend was with me at the time lol.