Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Scud

What do you think about these vises

I've been looking at the vise topics lately. When I was at the tying show i watched someone tie on a Cottarelli vise. It is a beautiful piece. They are hand made in Italy. The down side is the 400.00 price tag. There is a T Rex and a traveler. Both incredible.

I was also looking at the Tiemco Vice. The price on that is 950.00+. Again it's like a piece of art.

What do you think of them? I know most of us can't or won't spend this kind of money but most of us are gear junkies and it's nice to dream.

Jeremy

Rich Murphy ties on a tiemco, if you want an upclose of the vise see him at one of the flytying shows . I have never seen the cottarelli in person. But the tiemco is quite the vise.

900 bucks?? That's crazy. I would say 80 percent of professional tyers tie on regal revolutions. There's a reason why.. They are simply the best all around vice on the market. Put the hook and it self adjusts. Full rotary and totally adjustable. I think with a pedestal base it retails for like 425.00. You can't beat it. With the standard jaw I can tie from size 22 to something like 2/0. It's an awesome vice.

For me, even 400$ sounds very, very expensive.

I have no experience with either vise, they may be wonderful? But allow me to say holy crap, 900$?

I just "upgraded" to a 120 dollar Xuron vise and cannot imagine ever buying another one, I love it so much. What makes that Tiemco vise so special?

having only seen photos of the 2 vises in question i could not give you a useful opinion one way or another.

you can only make a review if you actually have had an opportunity to tie on either one.

they are without question very expensive hook holding devices. are they worth it, thats for you to decide.

I will probably never own either of these either. I'm just a gear junkie and like to look at whats out there. I say the Cottarelli being used at the show and it's amazing how you can change it from one jaw to two jaws to a tube vise in a matter of seconds.

Maybe after I hit the lottery on neverwary 32nd I'll be able to by one. Lol

The only task for a vise is to hold the hook securely while you wrap fur and feathers to it.

Other than that, it's just bells and whistles. I can't see spending that much money for features that don't contribute to my flies. (I use a Regal Medallion) Same thing with rods and reels.

But that's just my opinion - whatever floats your boat. :D

The only task for a vise is to hold the hook securely while you wrap fur and feathers to it.[snip]

Why then don't we just all use vise grips to tie, or that old trick of linesman pliers with a nut and bolt through the handle? Not meaning to pick on Chase Creek, but someone in every vise thread inevitably says this, and it is very hard to make sense of such a gross oversimplification. As with any craft, you get the best tools you can afford to do the job. Better tools make the task easier and last longer. They often cost more as well.

I have only played with the Tiemco, but the cost of that vise is mostly due to the poor US-Japan exchange rate. Does not do anything any other high end vise does, but it is a nicely engineered tool (have only played with the first version, not the Tiemco Vise II nor Solid). The Cottarelli has intrigued me, but I do not tie Atlantic Salmon patterns, so I have never felt a need to explore further. I also typically prefer a domestic producer/vendor in case there are warranty issues.

I tied for 30 plus years on a Darbee - Thomas vise (Xuron started making them in 1978). About ten years ago I bought a Renzetti Traveler and couldn't believe I spent so much money on a Renzetti vise. I have tied flies with needle nose pliers camping and they were adequate. Wow 900 dollars?????? I couldn't even tell someone I spent that on a vise with a straight face.

Money spent in the vise is really a very personal preference. I'm not using high end cars nor living in modern and expensive house but I prefer having quality tools. Would I pay 900$ for a vise? Sure, if I get bang for every buck I burn.

If someone could TRULY afford it, then by all means buy it! Hell, buy 2! The problem is that most folks start with their priorities all jacked up.

There will always be toys for people with more money than brains. There will always be people with more money than brains. To me, $950 for a fly vise is comparable to $50,000 for a pickup truck (for personal use, not business). Just an arrogant "LOOK AT ME" symbol. But, look around, even in this so-called bad economy and see how many $50,000, 14mpg pickup trucks you see rolling on the street on the way back to the subdivision from the grocery store.

I've tied on vises up through the $450 range (tied on, not bought) and honestly can not find anything "better" for me than my $150 Peak vise, which I bought several years ago, is made in USA, has performed flawlessly, and last time I looked still retails for the same price I paid over 5 or 6 years ago whenever it was.

I think I'm going to buy a Nor-vise. It's been peaking my interest for a while. I can't see the 900.00 one at all. I was just looking around. I know Nor-vise in like a secret organization but I want to try it.