Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Panama Red

Suspending Shrimp

Need some thoughts...What would you do to improve on this tie? Don't be shy, you won't hurt my feelings...

Maybe solid black eyes...Color combo...shape...

IMGP0785_zpsf452b5b7.jpg

IMGP0783_zps19d46c46.jpg

IMGP0787_zps89e5843c.jpg

Mail it to me so I can fish test it and evaluate it on some trout. Just kidding. It'll be a few more days before I can get back out after total knee replacement Dec 4. Till then I have been tying a few seaducers getting ready.

Actually looks pretty neat. Ido tend to give my plastic eyes pupils withe the sharpie. What is the material you tied the body with?

It looks good dry. Thinking how the fan tail works when you pull it in the water? I take it the hook eye is in there? Does it spin round and round?

I like the shrimp fly. To me in NC it would have to be white with black eyes and have the hook turned up or a weed guard put on it. Love it in tan but most of the shrimp fly only work in white or white and pink her. What is the fibers used for the body.

Mail it to me so I can fish test it and evaluate it on some trout. Just kidding. It'll be a few more days before I can get back out after total knee replacement Dec 4. Till then I have been tying a few seaducers getting ready.

Actually looks pretty neat. Ido tend to give my plastic eyes pupils withe the sharpie. What is the material you tied the body with?

I will send a few your way, still have your address...Tied with honey shad congo hair...suspends very well based on the amount of time you allow before striping, Will try to give a more defined pupil, would defiantly provide a more identifiable target for a hungry fish.

I had great luck this last summer with the seducers I patterned off the one you tied for the swap. Also tied a craft fur shrimp variant using the large size bead eyes you sent....Probably the two most productive patterns all year.

It looks good dry. Thinking how the fan tail works when you pull it in the water? I take it the hook eye is in there? Does it spin round and round?

Looks musch the same wet, the tail gets coated with CCG flex to provide some added strength, acts as a stabilizer on the fall and provides a small bit if up and down motion when striping. Have also used fish lipps as a tail on shrimp patterns in the past...Very nice action, especially on top of the water....looks like a skipping shrimp fleeing from predators. Have never had a problem with spinning

I like the shrimp fly. To me in NC it would have to be white with black eyes and have the hook turned up or a weed guard put on it. Love it in tan but most of the shrimp fly only work in white or white and pink her. What is the fibers used for the body.

White patterns work here as well, in fact red and white produced quite a few trout a couple of summers back. In the spring we get a large number of small brown shrimp in the local bays, in fact gulp shrimp in new penny is a local favorite.

Tying hook up by using lead eyes is a good idea, will give that a shot...Seems that would also be a useful pattern around bridges, dock or in the surf.

Thanks for the inputs, feeling a bit blocked at the moment and looking for some input from a different set of eyes or different point a view always seems to get things back on track...

Tight lines...dave

Dave! I was glad to see you post up a fly! Hope all is well!!

I like it. Not a whole lot I would change that wasnt mentioned.. Black Eyes (maybe even a white or yellow "pupil")

Another idea that I just thought about maybe a schlappen collar before the body of the shrimp! It would give it some undulation!! Fancy a$$ word I know! tongue.png

Dave! I was glad to see you post up a fly! Hope all is well!!

I like it. Not a whole lot I would change that wasnt mentioned.. Black Eyes (maybe even a white or yellow "pupil")

Another idea that I just thought about maybe a schlappen collar before the body of the shrimp! It !! Fancy a$$ word I know! tongue.png

All is well, just seem to be a bit busier than I like. Seems the longer you live in a house the more there is to fix or replace. The honey-do list as put a slight crimp in recreational activities, as soon as the kitchen is finished I will resume my beer drinking, tying, and fishing pattern...May even organize the second annual Fat Guy Mall Streak when the weather warms up a tad.

Bright pupils...bingo! Will break out the finger nail polish. May even try it on the fly eyes.

"Would give it some undulation" You hitting on me?

Great tie Dave. My only negative reaction (and not REALLY negative at that) was that I'd probably make the eyes a little more visible. That's one terrific shrimp. Good luck with the kitchen - better now than in the spring.

I like that mottled look. Is that built into the hair or did you do something to create it? that is a nice shrimp btw and Panama is right on about the craft fur shrimp. I have found them to work quite well.

Thanks D2....It's congo hair honey shad blend (FTD has many blends), makes great minnow and crab patterns as well.

Love the colors on this one Dave, that molted look is killer. It looks like it would do well free drifting in the current. Maybe adding some lead or lead-free wire to the shank would help it drift deeper in faster current, like a few feet below the surface

I just ordered some more Congo hair. Wished I had ordered some of that honey shad. Thanks for the reply