Fly Tying
sthrncomfort

Year of the Bluegill

I used to hate catching bluegills, but once I started fly fishing, it made them, sooo much more enjoyable to catch. I am surrounded by a lot of lake and ponds, and every one of them has bluegills. My favorite are the mandatory catch & release lakes, the bluegills in those waters are on steroids! They're massive and put a real nice bend in my 5 wt.

Riffle ... I have just GOT to ask. Since I've never seen a wounded chicken in the water, and I've never seen barracuda in a chicken coop ... WHERE did you get that analogy?!?!?!

Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I am beginning to get a glimpse of where your mind goes ... and it's scary !!!

If it wouldn't be so difficult to get on a hook, I think fishing with a chicken could prove quite fruitful in the blue water.

And if you get skunked, you still have dinner.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

I'm hoping to tie up some of the patterns mentioned this weekend and give them a shot.

I had a couple nice one's put a bend in my shiny new 4 wt this week.

I pondered picking up a 2 wt, but the bass that reside in the ponds I fish would make quick work of such a light rod.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and advice.

it actually comes from a musky lake that I fish quite often alot of locals call musky the fresh water baracuda and a trick they use is to tip a big spoon with a chicken quarter and troll with it at kind of fast speeds up into the shallows when they catch a big musky it usually is said that they caught it on a wounded chicken I have seen 5 foot Musky chase down adult ducks in the shallows so they do like birds and hell everything loves chicken

There is nothing..... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING better than a small balsawood #12 popper to slam bluegills with!! Back in year 2008 I had fished over 300 days, I caught over 3800+ gills and sunfishs with a majority on the red/white and black popper that I make!smile.png

One evening they were spawning and manage to pull almost 300 that evening again on a popper as they did not want any other subsurface flies!

My 3 biggest were from a S Ohio pond with largest being a 14 1/2" were all caught on a blue damsel fly!

I noticed someone trying to solicate a particular fly or two but I have tried them and they aint worth a plug nickel!wink.png laugh.png

I also fish a lot for bluegills. I live next to a large lake in the Minneapolis suburbs and can walk to some good fishing. As was said, it is a great way to clear your head after a day at work. I generally fish either flashy bead head nymphs, or foam bugs with a dropper, depending on how deep the fish seem to be. And I agree with the comment about using a 2 weight, it makes it even more fun.

I doubt that you will regret a 2wt for BG. I use a 6' 2wt and just luv it for BG and the smb. A 3# smb is rare though. I have been quite successful for a lot years with 1/4" poppers on a 12 hook, yellow craft foam spider on a #10 hook, a soft hackle McGinty on #10, and a Blind Squirrel on a #10 hook. I do use from a #6 hook to a 14 on rare times. Mostly 8, 10, and 12. I doubt that I will ever buy another rod but If I do it will be a 1 or 0 wt rod.

My 2wt will cast a wide range of size and wt. I fish up to size 2 no wt streamers and I will use beadchain and small lead eyes on smaller flies. I also cast small deer hair bugs. I have found it to be quite versitile. I have overlined it with a double taper, not a weight forward line. It is the only double taper I own but I really like this combo.

Ok now im thinking about a 2wt for Bluegills. Thanks alot guys, the wife is gonna kill me...

You're not doing it right. You have to have enough rods around that she won't notice another. If you've got 15 fly rods, she won't notice when you get number 16. ;)

Thanks ditz2. Im gonna get one i think.

If you want a lot of fun then Just do it!!:)

I even caught nice steelheads on 3wt and no I never let it get into my backing !;)

There is nothing..... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING better than a small balsawood #12 popper to slam bluegills with!! Back in year 2008 I had fished over 300 days, I caught over 3800+ gills and sunfishs with a majority on the red/white and black popper that I make!smile.png

One evening they were spawning and manage to pull almost 300 that evening again on a popper as they did not want any other subsurface flies!

My 3 biggest were from a S Ohio pond with largest being a 14 1/2" were all caught on a blue damsel fly!

I noticed someone trying to solicate a particular fly or two but I have tried them and they aint worth a plug nickel!wink.png laugh.png

Care to elaborate?