Fly Tying
riffleriversteelheadslayer

Febuary 2013 flies from the vice

i vote Riff should have tied that for the spring salmon swap ahahah *runs*!

First try at a spey.. or in this case a feather wing spey. I have some to learn. Proportions are off and the head is too big, but it came out pretty good for my first.

SAM_0942_zpsc62bfcd5.jpg

And Jam.. This is all your fault laugh.png

SAM_0938_zps5758858e.jpg

hahah blame me, you are going to use all those quarters i see in the top corner, next photo the jar will be empty for sure - nice first attempt!

I see some mighty nice hackles there and some BM! yummy!

If you are ever short of someone to test any offerings i am sure i can help. Planning more Skeena shenanigans this year.

Very nice salmon fly riffle.

I don't know if the combo of materials for the stonefly has a name but it has been a great fly lately. Also a couple Midge Pupa variants.

post-47332-0-81560400-1360648028_thumb.jpg

post-47332-0-10611800-1360648071_thumb.jpg

good first attempt I would swing it for sure

Thanks Riff!

Leave it to Jam to make an already consuming addiction to fly tying that much worse:P

Nice fly Chef!

It is his fault! I tie basically every other type of fly, why not a new one. Next, somewhere way down the line I'll try a full dress salmon like riff.

hahah blame me, you are going to use all those quarters i see in the top corner, next photo the jar will be empty for sure - nice first attempt!

I see some mighty nice hackles there and some BM! yummy!

If you are ever short of someone to test any offerings i am sure i can help. Planning more Skeena shenanigans this year.

Haha, yeah all those quarters will be gone for sure. The hackles are pretty good. I soaked the goose in warm water, but found the stem pretty thick to deal with still. Looking forward to trying out the BEP though!

One question for anyone.. How the hell do I dub this Angora Goat (seal substitute I believe). Its longish fibers and I had a hell of time with it. Keep in mind in my flies I very rarely dub anything so its kind of new too me. I do have dubbing wax, although I didnt use it with the angora goat last night.

Here are a few from this month. The last fly still has head cement drying.

These are all for my trip to BC in April.

55DF11AA-73EA-4AA8-ADB1-EEEB90C397CF-667

EFF8AEFA-C216-4AF1-9B5C-B13181AC129D-667

3E38D85F-6EFD-4EC0-A497-79B9C507E7B5-284

FFD1DCAF-5ADC-4A66-B4D7-A88CA9561BD7-766

Chefben, yeah that goose stuff can be a pain but can give you really good results. I just use the top half of the feather really as it does get too thick to deal with, then i save the old thick bit for when a tail/ tag part requires 'Hackle fibers', just strip off a bunch. Even false beards. Interested to know how that BEP works.

*edit* phwoar CTobias! Nice!

Chefben, yeah that goose stuff can be a pain but can give you really good results. I just use the top half of the feather really as it does get too thick to deal with, then i save the old thick bit for when a tail/ tag part requires 'Hackle fibers', just strip off a bunch. Even false beards. Interested to know how that BEP works.

*edit* phwoar CTobias! Nice!

The stuff I got from AO feathers is the best quality I have ever seen, still a little thick by the time I get to the head of the fly but it works. Gonna try tying an "Orange Heron" tonight with the BEP biggrin.png

@CT. WOW those are beauties. What size/brand of hook? Are they specific patterns or just a freestyle?