Fly Tying
riffleriversteelheadslayer

Febuary 2013 flies from the vice

Thanks.

The top two are AJ size one and the bottom two are AJ 3/0 Spey hooks. All of them are freestyle.

Thanks! Very nice!

The stuff I got from AO feathers is the best quality I have ever seen, still a little thick by the time I get to the head of the fly but it works. Gonna try tying an "Orange Heron" tonight with the BEP biggrin.png

Ahh the crap i get usually is hanging on the shelf for many years and is quite brittle, i did come across the tube fly company and grabbed a few bags from them, yes much better stuff and smells really nice too...

Well i just picked up a nice bag o' grey H****, i guess tonight i shall give a couple of them a shot too, oooo wish i had macaw (spelling) for the gold heron, hey anyone know a good sub for that? Orange goose slips? Hackle tips?

An egg laying mosquito. Nothing fancy like those awesome steelie flys

Dude, thats a nice looking mosquito! Dont sell yourself short! (although I commonly do this and am actually about too lol).

Now for my fly..My first go at a tented spey fly. This is sort of close to a Syd Glasso Gray Heron pattern. Changed out a couple small things, including of course the gray heron.

SAM_0955_zpsaaa2abef.jpg

You can see my ribbing slipped on the rear of this one. Didnt even notice it until i was uploading the photos. Oh well.

SAM_0971_zps0139aaec.jpg

SAM_0972_zpscf3007cc.jpg

Have to say that is one sweet fly ChefBen. I love the look of spey flies and just ordered a book on how to tie them. I hope by next fall to have a few of those types of flies to share.

One thing I often do is upload a fly than pick it to pieces but if you never learn from mistakes you will never learn. To me it looks like the tinsel belongs right where it is. :)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="FishDragon" data-cid="537456" data-time="1360726674"><p>

Have to say that is one sweet fly ChefBen. I love the look of spey flies and just ordered a book on how to tie them. I hope by next fall to have a few of those types of flies to share.<br />

<br />

One thing I often do is upload a fly than pick it to pieces but if you never learn from mistakes you will never learn. To me it looks like the tinsel belongs right where it is. :) </p></blockquote>

There is a lot of great information out there on tying Spey flies. I taught myself how to tie married wings after reading a step by step I found on Spey Pages. Needless to say it was a long and frustrating month at the vise. I went through a lot of turkey feathers trying to get wings to set right. Still learning as always. I can say though it has helped my tying tremendously since now I pay more attention to how much thread I put on a hook. My dries and trout flies look Bette (to me at least). I really enjoy tying the speys and fishing them as well.

I stick to freestyle since I can be more creative and just use the materials I have. FeathersMC is a great source for classic materials when they have them in stock. I just can't see ponying up the money for some of the material called for on classic patterns for flies I am going to fish.

My first attempt at a spey. Used a red feather from a golden pheasant skin, red tinsel, rust floss for ribbing and gadwall for the collar with a mallard tent wing.

imgp1396q.jpg

I blame everyone who has tied a nice spey fly for me attempting this lol :). Kinda short on spey materials right now but just messing about.

Jams Grey Heron ... #3

P2132045_zps6a5ce4af.jpg

Jams Black Heron ... #3

P2132056_zpsb79458dd.jpg

Both at the same time

P2132060_zps9dbd89b2.jpg

Then a massive pile o' herons.

post-29540-0-66473400-1360778781_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments!

Jam' as always..awesome! Careful with them so close together. It looks like they are spawning!