Fly Tying

I have been wanting one of these in blue for about 3 years. If i ever do get one i will talk to a friend about getting a larger (about 12" x 18") peice of granite cut and have some hook/bead wells polished into it. He offered to do one for my Nor-Vise but for some dumb reason i like the plastic one that came with it... But am starting to see the light here. What is neat is that he has the tools that grind/polish rounded grooves as deep as you want and a stone that carves/polishes out soap wells in sink tops.

I am definately going to look again at some granite or slate. Loads lying all over the beaches and I just need to be able to fix the screws into it. I thought about small rawlplugs but none small enough. Or drilling holes and fitting wood in then screwing into the wood but not sure thats secure enough.

I have seen were they put butcher's block in the granite for large counters. they used poly-styrene fiber-glass resin to seat them. Just use a very thin cutting wheel to make grooves around the inside edge of the hole (a place for the resin to set-up in) and make sure you have enough resin soaked into the edges of the wood. they made the block about 1/8th inch higher than the granite and after the resin sets belt sand the block down to even with the granite. Just make sure the gap between the granite and wood is sealed VERY well with tape to keep the resin in place till it sets...I can't remember what the tape was but think it was just a GOOD duct-tape. He uses that when setting resin in granite to granite joints but that is a special epoxy.

If you ever need to replace the wood just drill out around the edges, grind off the old resin, regroove the edge an do as above. They look too cool but i always wondered how well they last.

There was another guy around here a few years ago (ok maybe 6-7) that had a strange machine that would laser etch ANY picture you wanted into granite, marble, or even tile. Imagine what you could make for a tying top combining all of these things??? It could get REAL expensive if keep adding though...

There is a stone masons at the bottom of my road and they had a lovely laser etched trout on a granite stone but it was VERY pricey. I will definately look into it more cause I think it will make my Jvice even better looking.

I just received my Jvice this past week (a birthday present from my wonderful wife smile.png). I will have to get some pics for you guys but I made a base from rock maple(a piece of firewood). His vice's are very nice and really not very expensive if you just get the gooseneck and jaws and make your own base. I went a little crazy and got some extras, the midge jaws which are excellent, the basket for when I am spinning hair, 3rd hand hackle pliers, the gallows tool, bobbing holder and standard jaws which are excellent. Planning or ordering another set of jaws and possibly the tube fly attachments.

Really, really excited to have the vice but I haven't tied on it yet as I have been very sick with the flu while I have been lobster fishing(bad combination).

I went and took a few pics of the vise and base.

bnny.jpg

vmxu.jpg

rlyx.jpg

Edited by FishDragon

While I was editing my message to add photos I realized after that Piker20 wanted to see pics so I posted this message so the thread would be bumped. Hope I didn't break any rules.

Hi eveybody!

I love my JVice as well. What I really like about it is the simplicity of the design. No joints that would come loose, no ball bearings that would wear off, etc. And Jay offers some really nice customer support.

I recently upgraded my "J" with the Stainless Steel Pro-Jaws and the "marriage-saver" (waste basket), and I simply placed it on an inexpensive wooden plank, size 25 x 30 cm. That comes from a hardware store. So I don't have to care about messin' 'round with super-glue, varnish and such things.

Cheers, Obi

Love the vice. What is the tool lying on the board? Is it a set of hackle pliers or is it scissors?

Love the vice. What is the tool lying on the board? Is it a set of hackle pliers or is it scissors?

I went a little crazy and got some extras, the midge jaws which are excellent, the basket for when I am spinning hair, 3rd hand hackle pliers, the gallows tool, bobbing holder and standard jaws which are excellent.

Several configurations have been done, including one that mounts directly to the base.

fyi:

there's a good chance that Jay [smit] will attend the International Fly Tying Symposium [somerset NJ this November]...

F70A1784_zps724291e2.jpg

I love the introduction of the new Salmon neck. That should open up a very quality vice to a wider market. I am thinking of adding the J bobbin and hackle plier to my J family. Anyone know, the stainless steel pro jaw any different to the previous pro jaw or has it just labelled it SS now?

I love the introduction of the new Salmon neck. That should open up a very quality vice to a wider market. I am thinking of adding the J bobbin and hackle plier to my J family. Anyone know, the stainless steel pro jaw any different to the previous pro jaw or has it just labelled it SS now?

Second that, Jay has made a great move with his solution with more affordable Salmon neck.

Pro Jaws were labeled as SS in my order form last November.