Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
theflyfanatic

Cameras?

I use a Canon Power Shot A620. Its a "point and shoot, but it does have a macro setting, and several over ride settings. Not the greatest, but sometimes I get some good shots. The key is getting good lighting.

I'm another Nikon / Sigma user. Mine is also a D7k but I have the 28 - 250 zoom on it most of the time. That has quite a good macro feature (not as good as the 105 mm macro). For when that isn't enough I have auto extension tubes to fit between the camera and lens. When, if and when, I can afford a macro I would either get the Nikon 60 mm macro or the Sigma 105 mm. There are pros and cons to both and as I can't afford either I'm not going to look further into it.

The most important thing is to get plenty of light onto the subject. I don't use flash, just a simple piece of card hung from my tying lamp in a U shape. Drop the flies in the bottom and shoot away. The most common thing I see in many of the photos of flies on here is that they have a colour cast to the photo. This is caused by not changing the camera's settings to incandescent light when shooting inside. Even the most basic cameras have this setting, so there really isn't any excuse.

Cheers,

C.

if its going to be a hobby and not turn in to national geographic style professional photography, a good point and shoot will capture some nice photos

i use a pentax optio w30 point and shoot (i also have a nikon d40 dslr that mostly stays in the bag. macro lenses are way too expensive for my wallet at the current time)

things to consider

you dont need a camera with a bazillion megapixels to photos of flies (3-7 megapixels takes nice photos)

you definately need lighting. 1 light per side and 1 light either on top or bottom of the subject

get a tripod to control shaky hands

read the manual

good autofocus or macro capabilities are a plus on a point and shoot (i rarely use the macro function on the w30 which is very good)

photo editing software is a must and you dont have to spend a dime for it. there are a lot of good software on the internet thats free. if you are going to spread out into the professional side of photography then i suggest spending the big bucks for photoshop.

read the manual

learn how to focus the camera. too many fly photos all across fly fishing/tying forums are so out of focus you cant even see what the fly is. if YOU like to view blurry photos thats up to YOU. not everybody wants to see them

resize your photos for viewing in forum posts. 600 megapixels wide is about the right size. your free editing software will have the capabilities to do this

photographing of flies is not that hard to learn and gets easier after some practice.

it is not always the cameras fault that takes a bad photo. like a computer, in needs outside instructions from a capable person in order to work

oh did i mention read the manual!

I use a Canon EOS rebel from about 8 years ago...8 mega pixel...it shows more mistakes than I care to admit...obviously the internet has finally caught up with our cameras...in slightly a bad way...LOL...

I use a Kodak EasyShare DX7630 6.1 mega pixel. It was given to me by my oldest son & daughter in law several years ago.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=1841&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=172

I use a viewer/editor called Vueprint Pro 32 that I've been using for many years.

If you already have a point and shoot with a macro setting try this method that I use. It is the fastest and simplest method I have found and it comes up with photos like these.

AttractAnt.jpg

Caddispupa.jpg

MorrishHopper.png

The method is described here:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/showthread.php?45161-Styrofoam-Cup-Fly-Photography

I use an Olympus Tough something or other. I've had it for years. Between skiing, duck hunting, and fly fishing I needed something bombproof. And it is. Can do cool underwater shots if that's your thing. Has a ton of settings, but the auto mode generally figures it out for me. The only time I manually set it is for macro shots of flies, which turn out good in my opinion.

Flytire is spot on. I use a Nikon D7000 but that is because I do photography as a hobby/artist. You'd be surprised at what a P and S can do in the macro world. Some will do much better than any SLR can unless you own a macro capable lens (can get pricy, the cost of a great P and S) and a few good P and S cameras are water proof and great for stream side entomology pictures for future reference.

Ultimately it boils down to cost and commitment. Have fun and food luck.