Fly Tying
breambuster

Bluegill Swap Club For December

The theme for December is "Anything You Want." Any other words, you can tie any bluegill pattern that you want to tie.

1. Breambuster - Swapmeister -

2. Jolly Red - North Country Fly - Received

3. Dreamcaster - Squirrel Nymph - Received

4. Famill00 - Received

5. Homer35805 -

6. Riffleriversteelheadslayer -

7. Fshrmanms - Received

8. Xrayts - Received

9. Gravy Train - Received

10. Vicrider - Received

11. Crackleback - Received

12. Frequent Tyer - Received

Decided this is not what I want to tie for this swap, will do a "north country" fly. I have been looking over the book "Yorkshire Trout Flies", and think they would make excellant bluegill flies. The exact pattern will depend on the materials I have available, but I am leaning towards the "Starling Bloa" pattern.

I have about 4 different sets of flies to go in mail Monday and mine will be in there. A simple beadhead for spring spawners and an older version of the red tag wooly.

Got 'em out today. Trying to beat the Christmas rush tho at our little PO it's never a problem like when we lived in the city and 3 counters had long lines for about all of December.

I tied a set of royal coachman wet flies for December. This is my all time favorite pattern for bluegils, and not because it catches a lot of fish. Back when I first started tying in the days before the internet, I equated flies with trout. I was fishing a warm water lake with...worms...and got a bit bored. A few royal coachman wets had found their way into my tackle box, and just for fun I tied one on with a bobber and some split shot. I couldn't believe how hard the gills hit it! It was a revelation to me and I was soon a warm water fly fisherman. Given the lack of trout water in the area I was living, I honestly believe this pattern and those eager gills are the reason I'm a fly tyer today. I'll get these in the mail this week and I hope you all enjoy.

Happy holidays all!

Mike.

I sent mine this morning. I tied a variation of John Montana's "Hybrid". It's actually a carp fly, but has all the ingredients to be a good bream fly. I suspect this will be a good fly for Redear Sunfish (Shellcrackers), since it vaguely imitates a snail and a worm. BB, Merry Christmas and thanks for hosting.

Tim

I am tying a streamer that I use on brook trout but I also use it on gills when they are pushing the shoreline for minnows if you have never seen a shore line push it really is cool to watch a group of big gills push a bunch of minnows right up on the shore just swallowing as many as they can the first time I ever seen it was on my buddy's pond and it looked like the shoreline was boiling from the minnows jumping around

mailed a set of glow in the dark pencil poppers this morning. this was one of my hottest bream getters last spring and summer.

flys will be in the mornings mail. this months pattern is a little big but when i saw it on the web i had to try it.

craig

Let me get caught up on the flies that have arrived during the Christmas holidays. We have a very sweet set of Royal Coachman Wets from Frequent Tyer. Thanks, Mike. Very nicely done, indeed! And thanks for the extras! Next we have a great set by Xrayts along with a VERY sweet little gift that I will prize! Thanks, I love it! And Fshrmanms has sent in a set of poppers that must have taken DAYS to complete and that I am sure is going to drive the 'gills NUTS! Thanks, Mark. We are all going to love fishing this one. I know I will!

Take care

BB

Next we have a great set by xrayts along with a VERY sweet little gift that I will prize! Thanks, I love it!

I'm glad you like it. I'm a Tiger's fan also...Missouri Tigers.