Fly Tying
KOKOEK9

hares mask

Method 1:

1. Find or purchase a hare's mask (which is the skin and fur from the head and face of a hare)

2. Remove as much as you need of the fur (both guard hairs and underfut) from the mask. This is done using a razor blade or a pair of scissors to cut the fur as close to the skin as possible. Some people use what is called a dubbing rake to do this.

Method 2:

Buy any of the various brands of pre-cut hare's mask dubbing .

Cutting your own will allow you better control of the shade of fur you obtain.

Youll want the guard hairs for the tails (the long hairs) from the cheeks, and the shorter stuff from the "forehead" and between the ears for the body.

Or, buy a bag of packaged stuff dyed any color you like, and use wood duck fibers or PT for the tail. If you're like me, you'll itch way less!

I just use my dogs fur. He leaves plenty for me. He is a Blue Heeler and there for has an awesome bluefish tint to his grayish colored fur.

post-47944-0-38308300-1372937049_thumb.jpg

But I have found that once you have the fur, I just kinda "mash" it together and use that blob and spin it onto the thread with a lot of finger pressure.

Some of the best hare's ear dubbing mixes may not be hare's ear at all ;-)

Squirrel body fur makes for a superb substitute, and there is a lot more of it on a squirrel pelt.

Cheers,

Hans W

I didn't know that Hans. That's a great idea!! I am going to have to remember that one!!

Squirrel body fur makes for a superb substitute, and there is a lot more of it on a squirrel pelt.

Cheers,

Hans W

Perhaps, but "Gold Ribbed Squirrel's Body Nymph" just does not sing...

Cheers,

Hans W

Perhaps, but "Gold Ribbed Squirrel's Body Nymph" just does not sing...

Nah, that's called Super Squirrel Nymph !

I clip it straight from the mask, and I suggest getting masks in several colors because you'll sometimes find blends of colors which work better than any single color. For example, around here I find that in a couple of lakes and in at least one stream, a blend of olive and natural works better than either color by themselves.

Squirrel rocks too!

Personally I like to leave the Hare's Mask intact and clip parts from it. Like others, I will use the spikey guard hairs and underfur from the face for the tail and also use it in a loop, spinning a thorax. I use the soft underfur from the jowls and pull the guard hairs for the body dubbing.

The coarse fur from the ears I will use for thorax material on small flies and simply spin it on the tying thread.

There must be hundreds of ways to tie the Hare's Ear. I think if you vary the form and size of the pattern it will do a great job imitating dragon fly nymphs, scuds, mayfly nymphs,crawdads, stoneflies and caddis. Here is one I tied from an olive dyed English Hare's mask in size #8. I would think this is a pretty good imitation of a dragon fly nymph.

005-1.jpg

I always liked tying my gold ribbed hare's ear nymphs using cottontail fur from the back of the pelt. Found it easier to dub and has plenty of guard hairs.