Fly Tying
Fred H.

SNAKE!!!!!!!!

Grass snake fly . Some of you may know them as garter snakes or ribbon snakes.post-11886-0-61655900-1374198820_thumb.jpg

As someone who's main interest besides fly fishing is herpetology, this is awesome! You even got the cranial spot!

Thanks Michael, some people would say I spend too much time on my flies but I like adding the little details .

Thanks Kirk, I hope you're right.

Fred

Great fly! I think a bigger hook might take away from the action, what if you threaded a piece of mono through the body and put on a trailer hook at the end?

Is it old enough to mate?......Braid might work better than mono. More supple and less stretch. Do you do timber rattlers and copperheads? What do you use for fangs? I bet a sidewinder would be tuff. hehehe

Thanks Ben,Paul,PieterChristopher and Ditz. Thanks for the suggestions . This fly is in desperate need of a weed guard. I can imagine it slithering over a lilly pad and getting engulfed in a violent swirl. Hook size to head size is a concern with a fly this light. This is a #6 stinger hook and the head barely stays at the surface. Fishing open water might allow the addition of a trailor hook. I like the idea of the braid.

Fred

Hooks certainly effect the action of a fly. I was not giving Fred a real suggestion, I was just saying to use a bigger hook to equate it to being a big fish fly. In actuality, you don't need a big hook to catch big fish, I've caught several four pound bass on #10 hooks and a friend caught a 5lber on a size #14.

Great fly! I think a bigger hook might take away from the action, what if you threaded a piece of mono through the body and put on a trailer hook at the end?

That's the deal!

Great fly Fred! Congrats!!!

Big Hug wink.png

With my freaky dislike of Snakes kicking in,,,I'd say it looks pretty good since that's happening!

It looks gross to me so that's good LOL