Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BassMouth87

Briefcase/Large Fly Boxes

I purchased one of the large yellow briefcase fly boxes from GCO in the spring of this year. I planned on filling it full of streamers but after having it for a while it sort of evolved into my catch all Bass box and I must say I LOVE it. Having one box filled up and ready to go at all times works well for me and the box fits perfectly in my slingpack. My only problem and regret is that I did not buy another 3 when they were still available! GCO is out of stock, as is Allen Fly Fishing, and to buy these or similar sized guide/boat boxes retail in the shops is around $50-75. I am curious if anyone knows of any companies that still offer this style of box at a reasonable price? Even if someone has a few they want to part with for cash that would work for me. After using one all summer for bass I am thinking of doing species boxes to keep my working boxes more organized I.E Steelhead/Salmon, Bass, Trout, Panfish.

Here is my box as of today, its low on a few flies as the season has been wearing on and tying has shifted from bass to steelhead/trout and in absolute chaos but as you can see it can hold a LOT of flies.

post-45233-0-52609300-1375823117_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-92991700-1375823163_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-09090900-1375823205_thumb.jpg

takes a bit of work but Craft shops sell Artbin Quick view Carry Case in different sizes and then you glue the foam inside and you've made one for half the price.

Doh! I have done similar things with plastic pencil holders for my articulated flies why did I not think of that for these...I think that very well may be what I end up doing.

I would prefer to have slits for the flies to sit in but if I can find thicker foam I bet it could be done.

Just buy 2 or 3 sheets of foam, leave them larger than the size you finally require. Glue them with glue of choice and sandwich between wood board and G clamps and then when set you can trim to final size, the edges will be sealed and then make the streamer slits. Glue a piece of foam on the outside of your lid so you can stick in the flies you've used and avoid introducing wet (especially if salt water) flies to your box.

buy a plastic pistol case and line it with foam. The latches and hinges are usually better than the craft store cases.

Airflo makes one bit bigger, dunno if it's large enough: http://www.airflofishing.com/airflo-accessories-fly-boxes-airflo-fly-box.cfm

I bought one and I liked it..eh :P

The Airflo competitor fly box is a follow on from the extremely successful Aqua-tec boxes. The competitor box is Airflos answer to all competition and boat anglers problems when it comes to fly storage. Ideal for stacking in the bottom of the tackle box or in side pockets of a fishing tackle bag, the 28 x 21 x 6.5cm design will fit in with everyone's tackle.

With a capacity of over 1000 flies and an impact resistant, waterproof design these boxes will keep each hackle or wing in perfect condition.

I would prefer to have slits for the flies to sit in but if I can find thicker foam I bet it could be done.

Get the 6mm craft foam from Hobby Lobby (or similar craft store). Cut the foam to fit your box, rule out your lines and use a razor blade or X-acto knife to cut the slits. Cut to just beyond the halfway point of the foam's thickness, not all the way through. Superglue or Gorilla Glue the foam into the box. I've done 2 boxes this way; they've been in service for a season and they work perfectly. I'll never buy another expensive fly box.

You can "sandwich" 2 or 3 sheets of thinner foam per Piker20's suggestion and that will work, but I think this is way easier.

I also cut slits in a full sheet of the 6mm foam and glued it to the front of the hutch that sits over my bench -- makes a great place to stick finished flies or to "stage" flies that are in between tying steps when tying in bulk.

I use these type boxes, the clear lid one is only single sided for larger stuff but they are pretty cheap and good enough for a boat box or home storage system.

post-29540-0-97130400-1375898739_thumb.jpg

Ahaha, i should have hidden that lot! No one is supposed to see inside the cases of doom!