Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tomster10

Help picking a rod

I'm looking for a 10wt. to be used for anying my 7wt cant handle. I'm looking in the $250 price range. A couple TFO rods and a Redington have made the short list. I just would like the opinions from anyone that has one. Thanks

Not a 10 weight, but I have had a Redington. which I was very happy with. Both are decent rods at your price range, I would fish with either.

Just this year i purchased a 9 foot 10 weight rod mostly for pike fishing. It was a TFO Lefty Kreh Signature Series. So far it has been an amazing rod. I couldn't have been more pleased with it. It has handled many pike and walleye over the summer (Pike up to 15 pounds) and i am hoping to get out lake trout fishing with it next spring.

For 250 ... you should look into Steve's company, Midwestcustomflyrods.com.

He routinely offers custom built rods here and on E-bay for that price or less.

I would suggest that you get a 9wt for generic fishing and if you end up chasing tuna or tarpon you add a heavier outfit like a 12wt. If you get the right reel it is possible that one reel will work for both rods. Lines are not difficult to change. I did it just today and it took maybe 15 min. with no special equipment.

I am saying this as an owner and true believer in TFO. They are great rods. I have a couple and find them hard to beat, especially for the price. With that said, I have a couple of friends that have Echo rods and have the same results as I have. They love them and they catch as many fish as I do. I do have the same question as Ditz2, "why a 10wt and not a 9wt? I have an 8wt that has caught Blue fish in the 10lbs class, Striped Bass in the same class, and a couple of 15 lbs Atlantic Slamon. I can't imagine what you would be chasing that you will need a 10wt, what ever it is, I want to fish with you. Besides I find a 10wt is really tough on the body after casting it for a couple of hours.

Michael

Besides I find a 10wt is really tough on the body after casting it for a couple of hours.

Your kidding right, there's no real difference between a 9 wt and 10 wt. if you can cast a 9 all day then a 10 is just as easy. I have fished a 12 wt on the beach all day with no problems.. 2 ounces should not bother you in casting 2 rods.

Besides I find a 10wt is really tough on the body after casting it for a couple of hours.

Your kidding right, there's no real difference between a 9 wt and 10 wt. if you can cast a 9 all day then a 10 is just as easy. I have fished a 12 wt on the beach all day with no problems.. 2 ounces should not bother you in casting 2 rods.

Id have to agree. I cast a Midwest Custom 10wt all day long for Musky and im no worse for the wear. On top of that the flies are massive!!

Thanks for the input guys. I emailed Midwestcustoms, waiting for a reply. The reason for the 10 instead of the 9 is because I already have a 7 and would like to make a more substancial step up than a 9. I'll probably be making several trips down to Galveston over the coming months and will have run ins with blackfin behind the boat, sharks, and whatever else shows up. In that case I'd rather open doors than close them.

As ditz2 mentioned about the reel, I've got a 11/12class picked out for added backing capacity.

The TFO rods are the TiCRx and the new Mangrove. The mangrove seems to have a slightly more moderate action that I think would shine with rods lighter than a 10. So, I think I have narrowed it down to the TiCRx or the Redington Predator, as far as commercial rods go.

used a 10 wt Sage rpl for a long time and found it to be a great rod for the hvy baby tarpon [over 35 lb] a #3 Abel is a compliment to the rod.

TFO TICrx is the way to go. Got it in 12 wt, is my primary redfish 7wt rod and will be the one for my 8wt. My personal TFO favorite.

Is this the rod they discontinued? I thought I heard something about that..