Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SilverCreek

As close to fly fishing in a bathtub as possible

It looks completely staged to me. The guy doesn't know how to flyfish since he feels he needs to put the fish "on the reel" in order to land it out of a mudpuddle sized hole. It's not a monster, so what's with that? He probably caught it some place else and put it in that hole, waited a week or two, then brought the camera along for everyone to see the big catch! Since it hadn't eaten for that long, it would go for whatever was lobbed at it in that small of a spot. Easy pickins, and then dispatched like it would have been a couple of weeks before. If it were really true, that idiot would not have much to fish for in any of those spots because only a VERY limited amount of fish could compete for food to grow to that size, and it would take just one trip of catching and NOT releasing to wipe that spot out for a long time. I'll add that I have yet to use much more than half my fly line to land any fresh water fish, and I almost never try to put them on the reel no matter how big because there's no need to.

Regards,

Mark

Dude I agree with comments on the chap in the film but have to say, target some double figure carp or a barbel and then tell me you didn't use the reel and the first drams on me.

I see you are from Upstate NY mvendon, I am as well. I would like to know if you've been able to catch big lake run browns, steelies, or kings without using your reel. Or if you've managed to have a big female king over 20 lbs only take out half of your fly line. If that is the case, I'd love to learn from you.

As for the video, who knows it could be a pond underneath the water and only a few spots poke through to earth and are able to be fished? Who knows. Stranger things have happened.

You can tell it is a deep hole. I agree with bzt712 that there is most likely a pond underneath. This pond probably connects the larger area of water in the video. Who ever it is in the video could also be using extremely light tippet since the water is very clear. When using light tippet it is better to put the fish on the reel then hand line them in. No chance of extra fly line getting snagged or stepped on and breaking the tippet. I liked the video. It shows something I am very unlikely to fish in the USA.

Mark,

I agree with you that it looks staged. but your comment about not know how to fly fish because he put it on the reel is a bit far off. You must not have caught any really good freshwater fish to never put them on the reel. as said above if you ever tried to land a love sick female king and got the line wrapped around your finger bam bye bye finger. maybe on dink wld trout in small streams but noy all freshwater.

Steve

Apparently these are muskeg holes. Muskeg is an arctic bogland that can grow on top of ponds and streams.

Posters on other BB's have said they are familiar with this type of situation in the Scandinavian countries. Since the muskeg floats on top of the water, there is no way to "plant" a fish since the water is wide open under the muskeg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskeg

I doubt it was "staged".

1. That's a healthy fish. It might not be that big, but it's fat with good color. It's not starved.

2. If I catch a fish, I am always reeling inn as much line as possible. I too, have never used the reel to land a fish, but I hate having loops of line at my feet when I finally land the fish.

3. He does, at one point, need to pull the fish from somewhere under the ground he was standing on. Although I am not sure I'd trust it to hold my weight, I've seen just that kind of marsh or bog.

I don't think it was staged and disagree about reel comments I catch big rainbows that have me on the reel before I know it. Kind of a bummer to see the fish killed none the less...

He may have put the fish on the reel to prevent the loose line from catching on the vegetation. If the fish takes a run, the line could snag on something and break the tippet.

On another BB, someone thought the weight of the fish on the scale was 1 kilo or about 2.2 lbs.

He killed the fish quickly and outright, and not left on the bank to flop and die slowly... Can't say if it was staged or not but I'd certainly like to try fishing that region looks like fun.

I fish for Pike, Musky, Carp and Small Mouth. I work to get those fish on the reel ASAP. My reel has a much better drag system then my fingers!

When I did fish Trout exclusively in CO rivers I would occasionally land a fish without being on the reel but when you are fishing from a cataraft on a moving river its always better to get the line in.

Everyone is missing the fact that he didn't actually fight the fish with the reel. He got the line out of the way, but the fish didn't pull much, if any, out after that. Most of the fight was on the length of line that was out.

1) The fish comes there from the lake under the bog, hence no C&R to a small hole.

2) The line is removed to avoid tangles etc. The fish is fought fast and good

3) Don't be such a negative thinker, when you don't have the full information on facts ;-) Just a tip...