Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AK Assassin

Show me some collar tails!

I just learned something new this evening...I didn't realize what you meant until I looked at the photo. Good looking fly. I used to make some of those by mistake when I got back into tying. Almost every time that I tied in deer hair for a tail on a dry I would use too much thread tension and flare them into a terrible mess. I have learned to have a lighter touch now..... I have to get out a big hook and try this now because it looks interesting. Big hook, big hackle and a great idea...Thanks...

30+ years of tying and never heard of the term "collar tails"

i usually do that with tighter than normal thread wraps :)

Fly has booty! Irish shrimps exhibit something similar but just called a tail.

I have tied several steelhead flies like that myself. I have even added another hackle collar in the center. I knew exactly what you were talking about when I read the term even though I have never heard it used before.

Maybe "rear hackle" or "tail hackle" is a better description. Anyway, just something that I've been trying out lately. I am just looking for some patterns that others have been tying that is similar to the one I posted...I just made up the "collar tail" name...

ive only been tying for five years and ive heard of them and use them heavily. maybe flytire isnt in the correct area...

when you live on pluto you dont get out very much or hear about all the new stuff goin on. it take a long time for the internet signal to reach us :)

I have tied several patterns that use a rear hackle for the purpose of imparting a bobbing action to the fly as it sinks. These are primarily for lake fishing up here in NW Montana. Specifically on the Crow Indian reservation around Browning, MT. The big Brownies seem to attracted to them.

I've seen a lot of salmon/steelhead flies have the 'rear' hackle and an occasional trout fly with the same. By the way...Nice fly!