Fly Tying
okbow68

Hackle recommendation for micro buggers

Just like the title says can I get a recommendation for what hackle to use on micro buggers size 12 and 14 is what I would like to tie. The hackle I have is WAY to big. Thanks guys.

Whiting dry fly or other "euro" type hackles can be found in sizes that small. I have some that would tie flies down to size 22. Not that I would ever use them on buggers.

A better option would be to dub the body with something with plenty of long hair, and simply brush it out. Like the first two, or simply leave the hackle off. Like the third one.

post-12074-0-76620500-1386561626_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-99737600-1386561699_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-28402200-1386561847_thumb.jpg

Bill Keough's saddles are on the soft side. I've been using a pair of them that I bought 6 or 8 years ago. Charlie Collins may have some soft saddles too. Call and ask. Tell him what you are looking for, and he'll tell you if he has it.

I have an olive dyed grizzly whitings bugger pack that can go down to a 22, it helps to shop in person to see products first hand.. Here's one tied with said pack on a sz. 12 200rpost-45335-0-58282600-1386621728_thumb.jpg

The Euro saddles would probably be a good size for you. Also, you might try going with a cape instead of a saddle. You'll find a bit more variation in sizes for what you're looking at. Not as uber-cool as a saddle, but it would work. Ideally, you can hit a local fly shop and look at what you want first.

Thank you guys I appreciate the advice. I pretty new so I wasn't even sure what kind of smaller hackle to ask about. Unfortunately there is no shop close to me so I can not hand pick. I saw that Whiting has some 100 packs of hackle that might be a viable option.

On Youtube I recently came across a "Simple Sculpin" pattern that uses Bulky Cameo yarn. The yarn has two components -- a very

buggy, soft, core that looks a lot like the off white/tan yarn used in that killer grub pattern from PA. It is wound together

with a synthetic sparse and sparkly hackle that is very short.

The sculpin looks buggy and there is also a small crawfish pattern using the same material. (Frank at Frank's Fly Art in Columbia SC (803) 673 9238 is the originator of this idea and a good guy to talk to.)

The yarn comes in a myriad of colors at craft stores but is hard to find (for me). I finally got two skeins of white --and some dyes, a chartreuse and a black skein. It looks to be versatile as hell. IMO it could do a bang-up job on mini buggers down to 12- 14 with subdued flash over the buggy core and some marabou or slinky synthetic as the tail.

I'm working on a hex nymph pattern myself now.

Rocco

Thank you guys I appreciate the advice. I pretty new so I wasn't even sure what kind of smaller hackle to ask about. Unfortunately there is no shop close to me so I can not hand pick. I saw that Whiting has some 100 packs of hackle that might be a viable option.

The Whiting 100's are dry fly hackle. You could use it, of course, but generally you want softer hackles on your buggers to get some pulsing action on the retrieve. A dry fly hackle will stick out like a hair brush. I have done that, and they do work, but softer is better....