Fly Tying
FlyTieDad

Fly Tying travel case suggestions?

I'm trying to come up with a small soft side travel case for my 6 year olds fly tying tools.

I have most of the tools already just need the case.

Anything would do.

I've seen some really nice "official" fly thing cases but they are way to expensive.

I'm just looking for a soft case with elastic straps to hold tools.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

FlyTieDad

You can get tool rolls. They may be your best bet. Easy to make one if you have access to a sewing machine.

Cheers,

C.

FlyTieDad,

It may sound a bit nuts but these make good carry cases for almost anything including fly-tying kits. Drop vises, lights and such right into the bucket - pockets and pouches everywhere and Home Depot or others have the bucket and tool pouches for less than $15.00 as a combo sale item. (maybe a bit awkward for a six-year old)

23a8775a-6b23-4118-9dd5-13f7584fa7b6_100

Or you can get all three of these pouches for under $20.00 at Home Depot. One for your son - two for your tools :-)

cae0d23f-fdd9-4f34-8d4c-9ce0c745f50f_100

After thinking about it my SLR camera case would be a good one. Cheap off ebay with several pockets front and sides and inside.

Hi FlyTieDad,

The other day we were at Cabela's and they had worm-proof, small bags for about $12-$15 (about 3" x 6" x 8") with several internal pockets that would be perfect for a set of fly tying tools and a few materials. Take care & ...

That Cabela's case would be hard to beat, but take a look at Joann's Fabrics for craft cases. This one in the link is a bit smaller, but they have dozens of options.

The Renzeti vise storage kit fits the description and is about $40.00...amazing what can be crammed in there...

http://www.ezflyfish.com/renstorbag.html

PT/TB

That's the old original tool bag, designed to hold a Renzetti Traveler and your basic tying tools. I have that, and use it a lot. Last year, Renzetti introduced a new improved version that was just a little bigger, but much nicer. https://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?store=feacraft&action=display&target=RR060

I use a lap top briefcase. Has a padded section for your vise, several other large compartments, and numerous small compartments on both the inside and outside, some with zippers or Velcro closures. Came with a shoulder strap. Also, regular grip handles. Very versatile. Got it a luggage outlet store for about $30 several years ago. May be a little large for a 6 yr old, but it holds a ton of stuff.

Happy New Year, Bob H

nylon zippered "satchel" style pistol case from any big-box store, $10-15 max. The one I picked up last year is small, holds my vise and pedestal base in the main compartment, and a complete set of tools (scissors, couple of bobbins, dubbing needle, hair stacker, hair packer, dubbing twister, whatever) in the elastics.

You said tools, not materials, and this works well for me. There is also space for several spools of thread/wire/tinsel, and hooks.