Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ryveradair

inventory

I tried doing that early on. But it took away from time spent tying and other things. It didn't seem that important

since I am not a commercial tier.

Keeping enough of an eye on what I have so as to reorder before I run out is enough for me.

Same here. It gets to be quite a chore to keep it current. I just keep a pad and pencil on the tying desk to jot down materials that I am running low on as I use them, then I know what to order / buy.

I keep all my fishing and tying stuff in various strategic locations throughout the house and garage. Gives me a chance to inspect every square inch of my home whenever I'm looking for something and a surprise now and then ("Wow! Forgot I had that!). My wife is fairly impressed with my system, I can tell by the way she looks at me.

I inventory my hooks about every six months, just to keep from buying too many of the same hooks over and over. Not that I don't buy plenty of hooks anyway. As far as materials, I keep thinking it would be a good idea until I sit down to do it, then I think better of it. Sort of a labor of Hercules type thing.

I take inventory so to speak of my tying materials. I empty one bin at a time lay it out on the floor just as a refresher on what all is in each one. They're labeled but it still helps with colors, amounts and things of that nature.

Hi Group,

Yes, we do inventory. When you are in-the-business you have to do that effective 31 December each year. We finished yesterday about an hour before going to a New Year's Eve party. By the way, Happy New Year to everyone. Take care & ...

I would be really scared to try. If my wife actually seen a written list of the materials that I have bought over the years she would more than likely be in prison for my murder. I can inventory the conventional fishing stuff real easy because I gave most of it away years ago. If I was to try and inventory the flies that I have then I would soon cross over to the insane side of life. I have so many boxes and containers with one of a kind flies, experimental flies, ones that I copied from other tiers and the ones that I actually fish with on a regular basis that counting them or even getting them in a reasonable order would be maddening. I do try to keep them a little organized by at least having a few boxes for nymphs and a few for midges and so on but that's about it. I would go blind trying to count the one box of midges because they range from size 28 to the biggest being a size 20. The boxes that I am speaking of are containers with separate sections or the containers that have the little screw top containers held within the bigger container. All of the different fly boxes would fall into a completely different count and I don't even want to think about going there. I love my wife and could not and would not ever lie to her so I guess that I am lucky that she has never really brought up the subject as to how much money that I have invested (wasted) in all of the bags hanging on the wall and filling dozens of drawers.

I'm pretty particular about keeping my materials organized, with labels on containers, so I never do inventory. I use Evernote to keep a list of materials that I need, either because I've run out or because of some new patterns I want to tie. Then it's sync'd between my iPad, phone and laptop, and if I'm in the store I can easily look at what materials I might need to pick up.

Having made a career of buying stuff and later discovering I already had it... Maybe an inventory would not be such a bad idea.

Having made a career of buying stuff and later discovering I already had it... Maybe an inventory would not be such a bad idea.

I too have mastered this fine art. What's particularly embarrassing is I've orderd material online, waited for it to arrive, and found I already had it when the order came in and I went to put the new stuff away. I've kept a hook inventory in Google docs (now Drive) for a few years, and might just need to bite the bullet. One of my winter projects is a material cabinet, maybe I'll organize and inventory when I move stuff into the new cabinet.

Mike.