Fly Tying
eide

52 weeks - 52 flies

Now for this week, the theme is "Dots" I think this one should be self explanatory. Poppers are a type of fly, I have never tied until earlier this year, this is my 5th one ever, I have a long ways to go, but at least it fits the theme.

post-12074-0-45098900-1391809247_thumb.jpg

Week 7: Dots

Given the fact that there's a good bit of Guinea in my fly-tying kit, that was an obvious choice for this week's theme. The fly is a featherwing-style fly, similar in taste to a traditional salmon fly. I'm out of town at the moment, and somehow my travel vise was lost in transit, so forgive the crudeness, as this fly was tied in hand.

post-26372-0-93099900-1392058268_thumb.jpg

another attempt, tied with the aid of a vise.

post-26372-0-53395600-1392190397_thumb.jpg

Originally wanted to do a guinea pattern for this week, but then I found a pattern with JC that could cover this weeks theme. When I came to the topping I realised that I didn't have any golden pheasant that matched, so I had to improvise a bit by putting on some peacock.

Week 7: Dots

kvitre.no_.2014-7.dots_-1024x768.jpg

lovely work on the floss. Id be tempted to put that away and come back with some GP at a later date and finish off topping.

week 6: something old

This tube was described in 1932 by Mr. Alexander Wanless “The Angler And The Thread Line”. I think it qualifies as something old!

I got my copy of this book today, so here is the tube together with the original book

dryfly.me_.2014.03.01.first_tube_book-10

Week 8: Dessert

This week I decided to do a featherwing streamer. The fly represents a traditional "banana split" style sundae. The tail is red hackle fibers to represent strawberry syrup, the body is pink, cream, and brown floss to represent strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate ice cream, the brown hackle and underwing represents chocolate syrup, the white hackle wing is whipped cream, and red hackle tips on the cheeks are the cherry on top.

post-26372-0-14220600-1393139351_thumb.jpg

A variation on a spawn pattern, called Strawberries and Cream.

post-12074-0-28794000-1393180845_thumb.jpg