Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peterjay

2014 Tarpon Rookie Competition

If you need some more packing let me know. I can send you some sheep wool from one of my girl friends.

We bold get these on the cheap!

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

I CANNOT believe this photo !!!

Doesn't everyone know ... that packing material in his bra is EXTREMELY flammable !?!?!?

It shows terrible judgement, showing this picture with that cigarette so close to the packing. Children, do NOT try this at home !!!

Ditz. you'd been amazed at the tussel that beast put up. Piker, I'm all for funding my afflictions and disease (this fly one). Don't know about old timers disease but I'm sure if I hang around here long enough I'll get demented.

Next thing you know some one will be showing a picture of his huge tampon in this contest and it'll be over.

Well, I just got to the Chicago area this morning. I was driving from the airport to the hotel when I notice a fellow Tarpon Hunter.

He wasn't too happy about me discovering his spot, or even the fact that I KNEW what he was looking for.

However, after convincing him that:

1) I wasn't from the area, and I promised not to take over his spot. (Yeah, I think he believed me ... ha ha) and

2) I would only be looking for one trophy, not all the fish in the hole.

He finally told me that, although the cold temps had slowed the bite down a bit, conditions in the sewers were better than open waters and the mutant large fish were hitting. He didn't go so far as to say WHAT they were hitting ... so I'll have to figure that part out.

Well, I just got to the Chicago area this morning. I was driving from the airport to the hotel when I notice a fellow Tarpon Hunter.

attachicon.giflarge_MANHOLE_1.JPG

He wasn't too happy about me discovering his spot, or even the fact that I KNEW what he was looking for.

However, after convincing him that:

1) I wasn't from the area, and I promised not to take over his spot. (Yeah, I think he believed me ... ha ha) and

2) I would only be looking for one trophy, not all the fish in the hole.

He finally told me that, although the cold temps had slowed the bite down a bit, conditions in the sewers were better than open waters and the mutant large fish were hitting. He didn't go so far as to say WHAT they were hitting ... so I'll have to figure that part out.

attachicon.gifskiing_baby-YT.jpg

I cant wait to hear the rest of your story!! You have me on the edge of my seat!!

My mistake Mikechell.....I thought that individual in the padded bra was you.

Nah, Mike wouldn't be caught dead padding his brassiere. Especially after coughing up all that dough for hormone shots.

Hey Mike - that baby pattern should be just the thing for bull sharks. I've got a few 19/0 hooks around here somewhere. I should be able to dig them up before the baby hatch starts here in June. I guess live bait is out of the question on this one.

Nah, Mike wouldn't be caught dead padding his brassiere. Especially after coughing up all that dough for hormone shots.

Hey Mike - that baby pattern should be just the thing for bull sharks. I've got a few 19/0 hooks around here somewhere. I should be able to dig them up before the baby hatch starts here in June. I guess live bait is out of the question on this one.

If your opinion on those squirmy, smelly, crying, slobbering, wrinkly, ugly little things is the same as mine, live bait is NOT out of the question.

And the hormone shots were covered ... the prison system is great sometimes.

If your opinion on those squirmy, smelly, crying, slobbering, wrinkly, ugly little things is the same as mine, live bait is NOT out of the question.

Yeah, it IS the same as yours, but I have various restraining orders to consider. I didn't know that setting up a chum line with nieces and nephews is frowned upon in some locales.

So, it's snowing out, heavily. It's 14 degrees as I write this. But, since the sewers are always warmer (and a bit smellier), I was able to to some scouting today.

The first several pictures come out a little off color. Judging from the light headed way I felt, I can only assume there were gases I don't want to know the name of. I wasn't sure, until I looked at the pictures later, if I was really seeing the things I did.

Familiar faces, although larger than I am used to in the open territories I fish back home.

As I got further in, although faintly familiar, the eyes peering back at me were ... odd. I was getting less sure of myself, wandering through these sewer passageways.

I really DIDN'T want to go down THAT tunnel.

Highly tempted ... especially when she starting singing. But I knew I'd never catch that record Tarpon if I wen that way, so I continued down a different path.

Finally !! A passage that seemed promising. I've seen eyes like that before !!!

By the time I made the end of the passage, the fish had moved on. But the tunnels were opening up and that would prove convenient when I return with a fly rod in hand.

As I rounded a corner, I met this person. With the head-lamp pointed in my direction, I couldn't tell who it was. He or she was very upset that I was down there and started running away.

Fortunately, I hadn't brought my rod with me. When I caught up to him, it was my friend from Sunday. When he saw I wasn't fishing this day, he opened up and we talked for a few minutes. I had found one of his honey holes. He's headed south for a few weeks, so I had his permission to fish them while he's gone.

As we talked, I noticed this behind him. I asked him about things like this. He said, "As long as you don't act like live bait, they'll leave you alone." I was mesmerized by this creature while he was talking. When I turned to ask him what he meant by "They" ... he was mysteriously gone.

I left the tunnels then (maybe running a little) ... but I'll be back there to catch ... something ... soon!!!

I got the chance to try for a Sewer Tarpon yesterday. It was big !!! I couldn't cast to it from behind, since it blocked the whole tunnel. But I did get a few chances in some of the larger intersections. Who knew there was so much to the sewer system???

This Tarpon wasn't interested in any of the flies I had with me. Of course, I don't have any rat sized or larger flies with me ... but I'll be bringing the "baby fly" from home next week.

I did follow it, to see if I could find a "home water", which didn't happen. But at one time, I did get a full broadside view and took this picture.

Obviously, some "changes" happen to fish that live in sewer systems. I don't know if I'll be able to hook one of these babies or not !!!