Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peterjay

2014 Tarpon Rookie Competition

I may have to make an effort in this here contest.

As long as you've never caught a tarpon, all you have to do is say the word, and you're in. The rules are posted at the beginning of the thread, but just be aware that you're going up against the sorriest collection of liars and cheats that have ever been assembled outside the District of Columbia. You can also expect to see some cutting edge fishing fashions proudly displayed by the contestants, though that's neither here nor there.

Hey Bob - thanks for the post. Your report is generating all kinds of excitement here at tournament headquarters. We've still got a ways to go here, but the warmup's already underway.

I have never hooked a tarpon on fly. I have caught one on spin tackle. But not the fly.

You're in. No point in sending any flies until we have a winner. (I'd just sell them and pocket the proceeds) That's assuming we have a winner - we all struck out last year, but I sense a degree of determination among the competitors that was missing in the last contest. If the same effort had gone into actual fishing that went into concocting fraudulent entries, there would have been legitimate tarpon pix all over the forum. I've got a feeling that this is gonna be the year.

Hey ... this is a legitimate tarpon pic.

It's there, really, if you look hard enough, you'll see it.

Mike, I don't see a fish, but if you say it's there, it's there. After all, you're the last man I'd expect to lie about fishing. (cough cough)

OK gang, here's the field. My apologies to the rest of the membership for parading this sorry collection of deviants and undesirables in public.

1) PJ

2) Ben

3) Panama Dave

4) Tidewater Jim (I don't know if he's gonna fish for tarpon, but he ties nice flies, so he's in whether he likes it or not)

5) Mike Chell (sorry, there's no way to leave him out just yet - I can't wait to see what stunt he's gonna pull next)

6) Mudskimmer

7) blaminack

Hey Mike...You look really good in a bikini......When do you want to go fishing?

Hey PeterJay....is there a size minimum? If not I am in too. I will see what I can do with these TN Tarps.

Ditz, not sure about a size minimum but if you've every been to Skegness in August you'll know a size 16 is definatey a maximum for any sort of clothing MikeChell likes to show. Any bigger and they have a hell of a problem with the common grey seal males around at that time of year.

1) PJ

2) Ben

3) Panama Dave

4) Tidewater Jim (I don't know if he's gonna fish for tarpon, but he ties nice flies, so he's in whether he likes it or not)

5) Mike Chell (sorry, there's no way to leave him out just yet - I can't wait to see what stunt he's gonna pull next)

6) Mudskimmer

7) blaminack

8) Ditz. As long as it's an adult, (spawning age) there's no exact size limit. However, there IS a rule about spitting tobacco juice on your fly, which rules out your usual M.O. We run a clean tournament.

Ditz ... dry.png

Although you're right ... I DO look good in a bikini ... That particular picture is not me. It IS, however, my cabin "boy".

I guess my Red Man is against the rules. How about Skoal?

Never had $&* with a poon so I don't know what a spawning age one would look like. You fellas make it tuff on us land lubbers......

8) We run a clean tournament.

After reading the recent post by a new forum member of the baby tarpon that frequent landlocked ponds in FLA made me realize the potential for a new form of chicanery that could seep into this contest. Juvenile tarpon "grown" to adult size on gulp or trout chow and then submitted for prize winnings.

What's the name of the marina in FL famous for hand feeding tarpon anyway wink.png

Stumpy's ???

Robbies for hand feeding the poons, and after all these years in Florida haven't been there nor jumped a tarpon on the fly. Had a great time in Boca Grande Pass casting to a daisy chain while the flats boat rolled with the incoming waves & late afternoon gulf breeze, bow went down & the wave was above eyesight, so when the boat went up had few seconds to spot the chain & cast before the bow dropped down with the wave. No takes. Got one on a spinning rod years ago off a pier. Going to miss tarpon season again, hyperextended the pitching elbow & ligaments take a long time to heal. Under doctors recommendation started working out with the #2 weight fly rod & at this rate it's going to be a long time going up thru the fly rods until I can cast the #13 weight again. The ultralight might be a little lite for jumping juvies even with a saltwater ready ultralight fly reel, but that would be a reel 100 yards of backing screamer !

8) We run a clean tournament.

After reading the recent post by a new forum member of the baby tarpon that frequent landlocked ponds in FLA made me realize the potential for a new form of chicanery that could seep into this contest. Juvenile tarpon "grown" to adult size on gulp or trout chow and then submitted for prize winnings.

I doubt that any member of this crew has the smarts or patience to keep a tarpon alive long enough to defraud the tournament. Hell, half of them wear name tags in case they get lost in Walmart. Still, you never can tell. One entrant has been under close surveillance since he was observed dumping several hundred bags of Instant Ocean and a ton of crushed oyster shells into his swimming pool. Fortunately, he's the only admitted saltwater aquarist in the tournament. Not to mention any names...................