Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fishypieter

Bass Stinger Hooks

Good morning Fishypieter,

I hope the weather finds you warm and comfortable.

I have found these hooks on Amazon before. You might want to chesck them out. They ran $35 - $40 a 100 count. I have also found a "Saber 7060" on www.flyshack.com. They come in at $6.99 a 100 count. The reviews on this sight seem to be possitive.

Not sure what you are tying or what size, however I have been tying on Mustad 3366 for most of my deer hair and bass flies. They are discontinued but there are many companies that still have a good stock available. I just ordered some from www.jsflyfishing.com for 5.00 a 100 count.

Hope this helps.

Michael

If you have a fly shop in your area, one of their reps should be able to obtain a lot of a thousand hooks for you.

Almost identical to the Tiemco 8089 are the Gamakatsu B10S and the Mustad Signature Fly Hook, C52SNP-BN Stinger. Just to have a couple more alternatives to shop around.

Kirk

The Partridge Predator series of hooks is also worth looking into

they are a bit more expensive, but a better hook

Don't know what species you are targeting.... but be mindful that the B10s hook will bend

Good morning Fishypieter,

I hope the weather finds you warm and comfortable.

I have found these hooks on Amazon before. You might want to chesck them out. They ran $35 - $40 a 100 count. I have also found a "Saber 7060" on www.flyshack.com. They come in at $6.99 a 100 count. The reviews on this sight seem to be possitive.

Not sure what you are tying or what size, however I have been tying on Mustad 3366 for most of my deer hair and bass flies. They are discontinued but there are many companies that still have a good stock available. I just ordered some from www.jsflyfishing.com for 5.00 a 100 count.

Hope this helps.

Michael

When did Mustad discontinue the 3366? I've been using those almost exclusively for my warm-water fly tying, and this is the first I've heard of them being discontinued. They discontinued the 3399, but I've heard nothing of them discontinuing the 3366...and honestly, I'd be lost without the 3366.

When did Mustad discontinue the 3366? I've been using those almost exclusively for my warm-water fly tying, and this is the first I've heard of them being discontinued. They discontinued the 3399, but I've heard nothing of them discontinuing the 3366...and honestly, I'd be lost without the 3366.

when Mustad introduced the "Signature" line of fly hooks, they discontinued several of their "classic" fly hooks, and there were rumors that the 3366 was going away. It has been several years now and I have not seen or heard anything more about it. They always seem to be available, so I am not believing they are discontinued. I also hope it is not true, because I use a lot of them as well. Up until just recently Jann's Netcraft had them for less than $4 per 100, but as with everything else, they are increasing. Hopefully the rumors don't catch fire, then we'll be seeing another round of imbecility like the hackle craze, and what is going on now with .22 ammo.

when Mustad introduced the "Signature" line of fly hooks, they discontinued several of their "classic" fly hooks, and there were rumors that the 3366 was going away. It has been several years now and I have not seen or heard anything more about it. They always seem to be available, so I am not believing they are discontinued. I also hope it is not true, because I use a lot of them as well. Up until just recently Jann's Netcraft had them for less than $4 per 100, but as with everything else, they are increasing. Hopefully the rumors don't catch fire, then we'll be seeing another round of imbecility like the hackle craze, and what is going on now with .22 ammo.

This may be my bad. I too was told that Mustad was going to discontinue the 3366. This came from my local fly shop. You are also correct that they are still available in many sizes from many dealers.

And you could have ended your statement with "What happened to all ammo?!"

Michael

Off topic but most other ammo is showing up on shelves recently, but there is still a ridiculous run on 22s of any type. I have not seen any 22 on shelves anywhere in a year now.

I just got an order of 3366's in, and the only difference I've seen with this batch is they are now labeled as "3366-BR", they are still listed on Mustad's site, I dropped an email to Mustad to verify this...like I said, I'd be lost without the good ol' 3366.

www.allenflyfishing.com

B200 hook. They run about $15 for 100.

I agree! I've used the Tiemco 8089 & the Allen hooks are just as good. You might want to contact them for better pricing on 1000.

The Gamakatsu B10s is another good one that is very similar, but is also expensive.

Which size in the 3366 is equivalent to a TMC8989 #6

This is my bread and butter size in Bass flies in South Africa.

Not sure exactly, but a size 6 8089 is about the size of a size 1 3366.

One note about the 3366, it's a fine hook, but not as sharp or as strong as a 8089. I tied for a lot of years on those 3366 hooks, but have gradually gone to "better" hooks.

3366 hooks need to be sharpened.