Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ty Flyer

What in the world is a tube fly?

I've been hearing all sorts of talk about tube flies, and I was wondering what they are and what sets the apart from other flies. Please Help!

They are patterns tied on a tube. It could be aluminum , brass or copper. Most are on plastic tubes. I use a lot of Q-tips for mine. There is a larger tube connected to the back of the completed fly called a junction tube and you hook is attached to that. One advantage with a tube is no hooks to tangle in you fly box. The major thing is fighting a fish. You have a short shank hook that helps in landing a fish. Less likely to bend or brake.

Kevin

To add to Kevin's description. The fly has no hook of it's own. The leader runs through the tube, and the hook is tied on. Then the hook can be pulled up to the fly so that it is now a part of it. When you get a fish on, the fly can ride up the line, leaving just the fish and hook. Less leverage for the fish to dislodge the hook, and your fly can last longer it a toothy critter is hooked.

Most are on plastic tubes. I use a lot of Q-tips for mine.

Kevin

I think Q-tips have a solid shank.

Is there a generic brand that you use that has the hollow tubes. Dollar Store maybe?

Most are on plastic tubes. I use a lot of Q-tips for mine.

Kevin

I think Q-tips have a solid shank.

Is there a generic brand that you use that has the hollow tubes. Dollar Store maybe?

Get the plastic shank ones. They're hollow.

I use recycled flexible tubing from fiber optic cables at work. Scrap goes in the dumpster normally. Has a curl ar first from being on a roll. But ther can be straightened out nicely. Best part. They are free. Just takes time to strip out the fiber and the kevlar thread inside.