Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

It has to be googleable for trout

jd, I have a beautiful wooden box with flies I won't be using even if I could get out often enough to need them. Some have memories for me but most are special ties from different sources, including a "Miracle 13" from a group of kids in a cancer recovery group. As nice as all the flies are in this swap I will be putting all of them in my "user" box except the Kyoto Kebari of DavidHE. That dainty little guy with the eyeless hook and line tie (furled?) is special and will go in the mantle box.

jd1983- I always lean towards "fish them". Take them out and create good memories. Truth of the matter is I too have a nice wooden fly box I received as a gift and, at this time at least, consider too nice to drop on the rocks and in the water. The box contains only flies I have received in swaps. Occasionally I will remove some to put in my river box. So it seems I don't heed my own advice. I have started photographing the flies from swaps, labeling them, and placing them in folder with the swaps name (all on the laptop). That way if I lose any I have something to look back on and try to duplicate it, or can contact the tier for info if need be. A little OCD I guess, we'll see how long it lasts..

vicrider- Thanks for compliment! I'll have to send you another so you have one to fish also. I used a standard hook with an eye for this swap (an Allen hook. It is no longer listed on their site, I hope they bring it back) because I did not have enough of the Japanese eyeless hooks. The "thread" eye is fly line backing (10lb I think) colored with a sharpie. I do enjoy tying and fishing the thread eye flies.