Fly Tying
Jfish

Question about hackles

I have a couple of saddle hackle full saddles. I believe that those are for dry flies.

What I'm looking for a hackles for wet/nymph flies. I see cabelas only has and India hen and from what I understand hen hackles are for wet flies and the saddles are from roosters for dries? What do I need to look for to get the hackles for wet flies?

I'm a bit confused by your phrasing but I think you answered your own question.The answer is, Hen capes...all kinds... can be used in tying wet flies. India capes are especially useful.

Sadles (refers to the part of the cape) can be from hens as well not just roosters.

To add to what Shoebop said, some saddles from roosters are not necessarily suitable for dry flies, but may be well suited for tying wet flies, or other types of subsurface flies. There are saddles that are sold as "bugger" saddles. They may have some feathers that will tie dry flies, but usually most of the feathers are too soft. They're good for Woolly Buggers as the label implies, as well as other flies where you might want to wrap a softer hackle.

I thought that was the case. I just wanted to make sure that any hen cape is for a wet fly basically. I'm also surprised that Cabelas only has one option for a Hen.

You can use other types of bird skins like partridge, grouse, woodcock, quail. I would say that partridge is much more popular for wet flies and nymphs than India hens.

See if you can find a bird hunter that will save the bird skins for you.

Hungarian_Partridge_Olive.jpg

cookshill059.JPG

1n3061.jpg

DSC_2241.JPG

Nymph and wet fly hackles are usually from hens, and the more webby (therefore more absorbent,) rooster hackles. These could be from the neck, saddle or even body plumage. As mentioned, the soft body plumage from most all upland game birds makes great hackle for nymphs and other flies that are meant to sink. In some cases a sparse dry fly hackle will also work.

John Barr ties an emerger with dry fly hackle for the tails, wing case and legs. These are the way over sized hackles from rooster necks. John just trims the tails and legs after tying them in. Quick and easy.

I don't know about anyone else but this is a BIG help to me.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad it could be of some use to you! I don't know if other hackle producers have a similar chart... handy information to help insure you end up buying what you really need.

Tight lines,

Bob

Some lovely skins there Silver. How does the lemon and brandy aid the curing process??

Piker,

I wish those were my skins. I picked some photos off of the web.

I do have some nice soft hackles though that I have collected over the years.