Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Myers

Danville Threads

I know they list them as two different deniers but how does Danville Flymaster plus (140 denier) compare to their flat waxed nylon (210 denier) when tying. Is the flat waxed nylon that much bulkier? I've used Danville's 210 denier thread but never their flat waxed nylon. I like using the Flymaster 140 for carp and bass flies with dumbbell or beadchain eyes and was wondering if the flat waxed nylon would work without the thread being too much bulkier ?

I've only used the larger Flymaster Plus (210d) so can't make a direct comparison to the Flymaster 140.

Flat waxed nylon is very smooth and somewhat slick, though not slippery like GSP. Ties very flat on the shank with little buildup for its size.

Flymaster Plus, in contrast, seems to have more texture, i.e., a rougher feel to it. Grips materials well but seems to build up more than flat waxed nylon.

I haven't really used the Flymaster threads too much, but believe they're a twisted fiber thread (round), while the flat is not. I've been using Danville threads for most of the 47-48 years I've been tying, but they've changed them some & I've still got plenty of some of their older threads.

I agree with Bugsy about the flat nylon not building up appreciably, but not sure how it compares. I tie with the flat nylon thread for most tying I do, and when tying smaller flies, like size 12 or 14 or smaller I still have some of the older 6/0 threads that I use.

IMO if you intend to use the flat for tying bass flies, particularly for barbells or bead chain, you'll like the end result!

In theory, its one third thicker or heavier. Not that difficult to use on larger (bigger than 12,) patterns.

I'm a little confused by your question. Danville Flymaster+ is a size 'A' thread, that is about 210d. The two differences between it and flat waxed Nylon, 210d, is the material and the twist. Flymaster+ is a twisted polyester thread, and flat waxed nylon is, obviously, untwisted (like floss) and nylon. The material itself does make some difference as polyester turns darker when wet, nylon turns translucent. Otherwise, though, they can be used somewhat interchangeably.

Danville's 140d product would be the 3/0 monocord. I believe it is also polyester, but I haven't confirmed that. I like to use the 3/0 on size 4 to size 8 hooks.

I was just checking Danvilles website. It appears that Flymaster Plus is available in 2 deniers, 140 & 210, and is listed as nylon. Both are available with or without wax. So I guess the 210 is the old size "A" as phg has said.

Then there's 6/0 Flymaster, which is also listed as nylon & 70 denier in size. Also available in waxed & without.

3/0 monocord is also listed but it doesn't say what the material is. I recall that folks sometimes referred to it as "nymph" thread. I still have several spools of it as well, but don't tie with it too often now. I believe, if I recall correctly it was also sold as "Nymo" thread at some point in time.

Flat Waxed Nylon is described as 210 denier. They used to have a product they called Depth Ray Nylon, but I don't see it still listed. It's the same as Flat waxed, but without wax & only in the fluorescent colors. I still have several spools of it & actually like it better than the waxed version.

Danville Spiderweb is what used to be sold as a 13/0 thread I believe, but they list it now as 30 denier.

Danville also has nylon or rod winding thread listed in various sizes under Tools & Misc Products. In the past I've purchased some of those for tying jigs. They're nylons & a round, twisted thread. They do bulk up quickly, which is not usually an issue when tying jigs.

phg, take a look at Danville's site and you'll see that all Danville thread products are nylon. Monocord 3/0 is still available and is labeled @ 116d.

3/0 Monocord was the thread I grew up tying with and I'm near certain it used to always be described as nylon. I don't use it nearly as much as I used to, but it is really good thread for most things. It's always the thread I give someone starting out, because it is not TOO bulky and it is strong enough that it doesn't break easily, even with a heavy hand.

All threads are different in various ways... thread is cheap, so buy a spool of each in white (universal color) and try them to find what suits your needs.

ok , thanks guys. Need to do a thread order so a good time to give Flat waxed nylon a try. The reason I asked is I need to order about 8 spools in various colors to replace what I am out of and need to save a little money wherever I can. The flat waxed is a little cheaper for the same amount of Flymaster 140 . Money is a bit tight so every bit helps especially when thread isn't the only thing I am about out of.