Fly Tying
OneShotScout

looking to get into tying in Houston

I am new to all of this. What is a good kit to start with? I work a lot so I would like to start small just incase time gets the best of me and I do not get to do this much.

Any help is appreciated!

Robert

You've got a wonderfully large Bass Pro Shop just South of Houston, and another one West, out in Katy.

BPS carries some good starter kits ... and they have all the individual tools needed, if you want to design your own kit. In most of the BPS's I've been to, the people in the White River Fly Shop are fairly well versed in fly tying and should be able to help you get started.

Hi Robert, welcome. I'll second mikechell's comments. There,s a BPS here in town (Toledo), and a Cabela's not far away. Unlike some big stores, they seem to have paid attention to the background and experience of the folks they hired. They both carry a good range of materials and tools for tying, and equipment for fishing.

My advise to anyone starting out is to skip the fly tying "kits". They usually have materials in them that you will never use, and the vise that comes with them is normally not very good quality (of course, there are exceptions). I would suggest you find a few fly patterns for beginners, and only buy the materials needed for those patterns. Look for a beginner's fly tying book, there are a lot of them out there. There are also lots of videos.Take a look on YouTube. And, of course forums like this.

As far as tools, don't run out and buy the top of the line vise. Stick with the less expensive tools until you decide that tying is really for you. You can often buy the misc. tools (hackle pliers, scissors, etc.), in a package. Usually not the best quality, but you won't break the bank, either. Go to BPS and explain what you want to do (keeping in mind that their job is to sell you stuff).

This forum is a great place to learn. Members here range from absolute beginners to World class tiers. Don't be shy about asking questions. As my Dad used to say; the only dumb question is an unasked question.

Out of curiosity, are you involved in Boy Scouts (your screen name)?

Again, welcome.

I second ChaseCreek.... you can learn a lot just by looking through past threads on this Forum pertaining to beginner tools. Personally I'd limit tools for a start with a vise (but make sure you can turn the fly without ungripping it... you'll want that feature right away), a bobbin and some basic materials depending on what you intend to tie. Kits contain tools that you either won't use, at least right away (like a whip finisher... many of us have them and never use them), or tools that you can find a substitute for amongst your household stuff.

That's TURN for the vise, so you can work on the bottom when you want. I didn't mean a full rotary vise. Anyway, pore over the old forum threads to help you form your choice. This topic has appeared and been discussed fully many, many times.

By the way... what's with the Green Bay helmet? Houston implies Texas to me (unless there's a Houston Minnesota).

I agree with chase creek.......There are many great vises out there. Buy a used good one. You can always resell. get a pair of decent scissors. You can always use them to trim beard or eye brows or hair in your nose. Make a bodkin and get some cheap hackle pliers. Get some materials to tie one fly that you use and a few hooks and start tying. If you decide you like it go after it. Use a half hitch knot and then use cheap finger nail polish to seal the head. You can learn to do a whip finish later if you decide you will stay with tying. DON"T buy a cheap vise. They normally don't work well and it will be frustrating. You can buy a new decent vise for less than $100 if you have to have new. I have used a DanVise for 8 or 10 years and it still works fine. Read the instructions on how to adjust the hook tension or you will damage the jaws. I am still using the scissors and pliers and other stuff I bought 45 years ago. Buy a cheap steel tubed bobbin to start. I have been using mine for years and I only have one. Get a spool of Uni 6/0 or other similar sized thread in black and one in white. You can color the white with sharpie to what ever you need. I tied for years on a set of vise grips welded to a rod that was in a home made c-clamp. I still use it sometimes on big flies and hairbugs. It will hold any size hook to it's breaking point. Works pretty good actually.

Chase the name is from the Army. I am a Cavalry Scout. Well was I had to reclassified to promote.

Thanks everyone for the advise. It is great to have this type of forum and response. I plan to look and get started here in the near, near future. As soon Ans I can that is...

I was in your position a year ago... one of the best pieces of advice given to me, was to go to a local shop and get a lesson.

This helped me tremendously in knowing what I was looking for when searching for gear. Not sure what your knowledge base is.... but if it was like mine (none).... the lesson helped. You may even find someone locally that would be willing to meet up and just let you tie for a bit..... I am stationed in Germany so there weren't as many options, I just went to the local store. Anyway I

woujld also say buying material for just a few flies would limit spending money on things you will never use.

fly tying lessons

i'll post this again

This list of beginner tying materials is simply a list based on my 30+ years experience in fly tying. The list provided below is for a new tyer who wants to tie trout flies but can spill over to different genres of fly tying. It is a BASIC list. Could other items have appeared on the list? Of course they could but that's somebody elses list. Other tyers will add or subtract materials to their liking. So be it. Remember its a BASIC list of materials. It contains materials the can tie hundreds or even thousands of fly patterns.
This list is in no order of preference. This list is provided for your convenience and in no way requires you to buy all tying materials all at once or any materials for that matter. It is also a generic list of materials as I really don't have any preferences as to what brand of materials you buy.
Eventually you will need materials if you want to continue tying flies. The list may give you a head start as to what you might want to buy
Again, you do not have to buy the entire list all at once!
Buy what you want when you need it!
1. Hooks (in different styles and sizes)
2. Thread (6/0 to start in black & white)
3. Pheasant Tail (center feathers when possible for the longest fibers)
4. Peacock Herl (eye feathers and strung herl)
5. Marabou (blood quills are better)
6. Deer hair
7. Elk hair
8. Buck tail (in different colors like red, yellow, or white)
9. Lead or non-lead wire (in different sizes)
10. Ribbing wire (silver, copper & gold)
11. Rooster Hackle (grizzly, brown, white & dun) A good option is an introduction pack
12. Hen neck or saddle (grizzly, brown, dun etc) (great for soft hackle & wings)
13. Hungarian Partridge Skin (great for soft hackles)
14. Dubbing dispenser of hares ear (various colors) & superfine dubbing for dry flies
15. Gray duck or goose wing feathers (used for wing cases)
16. Head cement
17. Tinsel and other flash materials (in assorted colors)
18. Calf tail (start with white, add colors when necessary)
19. Yarns & chenille (used for making bodies, both in assorted colors)
20. Floss (1 strand or 4 strand in assorted colors)
21. Strung hackle (practice wrapping hackle with this. cheap alternative to the pricey hackles)
Poor quality materials are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them. Buy the best you can.
Another recommendation seen on most forums is to pick out 5-10 that you want to learn how to tie. buy the materials provided in the recipes of those flies. these materials are now the building blocks for tying different fly patterns in the future.
"The vice, bobbin, scissors and materials are fundamental."
for an absolute beginner, what more is really needed? those 4 items will tie hundreds of flies if not more.
smile.png

I started with this one - inherited from my uncle. It's over 20 yrs old and still works fine. Cable's also has it.

Bass Pro $19.99. Here's the link:

http://www.basspro.com/Supreme-Rotating-Fly-Tying-Vise/product/90682/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

CabelaSuperII%28600pw%29.JPG

If you prefer it with the pedestal base, that's another $19.99.

http://www.basspro.com/Pedestal-Base/product/98221/

Fetter

That vise is a really good starter. It's called the Supreme in both BPS and Cabela's catalog. But the one from Cabela's is better, in that it comes with three DIFFERENT interchangeable jaw sets. The one from BPS has replacement jaws but they're all identical.

I have one of these and it's the one I use.

Same one I am using, Fetter. Been using it for a long time, still holds a hook just fine ... even when tightening down on a deer hair spin.

I bought a vise and an employee at one of the BPS got me the materials to buy for a Woolly Bugger. I made three from the book I have. One regular, one need head, and one on a small jig head. I need to figure out a way to post them and get some advice and criticism on them.

The vise I got was $24 bucks and came with a bobbin, hackel pliers, bobbin threaded then a scissors and a few other things. Then I just got the bares needed for that one fly in three styles(hooks and beads) I only have the one fly and color but it is a start.

Don't go crazy buying a ton of stuff. Look at some of the Step-by-steps (SBSs) on this site and online. Pick a pattern you want to tie and buy what you need for that. After about the 5th time you do this, you'll have a good supply of stuff. Then you can decide what you want to buy based on some experience.

If you look for them, you can find patterns made with Dollar Tree materials that will cost you very little.

Yeah. That is why I did not get a kit. The only materials I got were for the one woolly bugger. I am starting with that one then I will move to a few others. Testing the water.