Fly Tying
flytire

fly tying thread

Wow! Lots of information on that page. Since I am tying usable flies with sewing thread ... I'll just stay with it.

Whatever works for YOU stay with it

THe article will hopefully help those tyers that are unaware of all of the tying threads out there and who may want to expand their knowledge of thread

Whatever works for YOU stay with it

THe article will hopefully help those tyers that are unaware of all of the tying threads out there and who may want to expand their knowledge of thread

I agree with Flytire. In the face of thread rating systems rendered basically useless by lack of standardization in the industry, we're just as well off (and less confused) wtih trial-and-error.

The article was very informative; thanks for posting.

Essentially a rehash of Chris Helm's work (cited) with the usual rant about the aught and the denier systems. So much hay is made of these scales it is a wonder fly tiers can tie at all? Article would almost have one believe the average tier stands perplexed and frozen in indecision when facing a rack of tying threads. The updated table is nice as far as it goes, but if the point of the article is to help the beginning tier pick a thread, then all it does is flood the uninitiated with too much information.

One must wonder if his next article is going to be about the lack of consensus concerning hook sizes.

Since the denier number for one thread isn't always the same denier number for another thread that system seem to be quite useless as well

I'm staying with Danville and veevus threads no matter what system they use.

I consider thread to be second only to hook in importance. One should try to learn as much about the properties of thread as one can.

Can't help but feel the lack of standardisation in sizes, both thread and hook, is our own fault. All we need to do is agree on a standard sizing system for both and not buy products that do not have the standard size on their labelling. That's not asking anyone to change the product at all. Just to tell us how it compares. We would only have to keep it up for a short while. The power is with the £ (or $) in your pocket.

Anyone know how to herd cats?

Cheers,

C.

I'd also like to see included in these charts the pros and cons of using the different threads, especially for beginning tiers. I saw a chart like this one many years ago in a magazine when I first started tying (there weren't nearly as many different companies making thread back then) and it was a no-brainer which thread to buy. GSP was a lot thinner and much stronger than all the other ones - what could be better? I didn't know that it was difficult to use for a beginner because it was so slick. It didn't hold materials as easily as UNI or UTC or Danville threads, my not-so-good whip finish knot wouldn't hold and the scissors I owned back then wouldn't even cut it. I would have liked to have known all that before investing in it back then. I remember looking at the chart and wondering why everybody didn't use it.

Joe

In my opinion Uni are best for trout patterns or anything smaller than 16, UTC for pretty much anything between 1/0 and 16, and GSP and Veevus for spinning deer hair

Nice article but just confuses a simple subject. Use what works for you I guess. I use uni 8/0 mostly, only thread I would never buy again out of all that I have used is uni-threads 6/0! Its horrible. If I want more strength I use danvilles 6/0.