Fly Tying

I've purchased some of the Green Caddis hooks & they were fine, no complaints about them. I too like the Allen hooks and would recommend them as well. Like Chase Creek, I use various brands and styles, and have likely used most brands. Since I'm primarily tying bass or saltwater stuff, I also use hooks that are not sold as "fly" hooks, such as plastic worm hooks, live bait hooks or spinner bait & jig hooks. There are many good hooks available to tiers these days for many purposes. Everyone develops favorites based on what they tie most & what they can afford to spend or are willing to spend. Give some different brands a try in styles you need & see which you like best & go from there. smile.png

I have used Green Caddis hooks quite a bit but I will not buy there any more until he gets his life/business under control. There have been quite a few unhappy customers in the past year or two (not getting their products). When he gets things fixed, I will buy from him again.

Ditto ^ what shoebop said.

Allen gets my vote they treat this veteran well, they also have saltwater hooks but they have been out of them for like a yr or so

TMC, Mustad then Allen... in that order.

The Allen hooks will be used more in fisheries where I tend to go through more flies or to give to friends.

They are amazingly priced and the quality isn't too bad.

The Mustads are the easiest to get in my neck of the woods. Great selection and quality. I use the streamer hooks in the 3xl to 7xl for wooly b's and the 3lx dry fly. I do have pretty much every style they sell in the signature series but those are the two that see alot of vise time.

The TMC are great. Though they are a little on the brittle side compared to the Mustads....but they are sturdy hooks. Dries and nymphs are typically what I tie with said brand. The 200r and 2305's are great nymph and dry fly hooks. Also the 2457 and 2488 are great hooks for nymphs and egg patterns as well.

I have other brand hooks that I use for specific flies. The gamagatsu for bigger streamers and daiichi big eye for tiny flies.

It's tough to specifically narrow it down to one brand....

I've always used Mustad for all my inland trout and warmwater flies. On occasion I've also used their stainless ones for saltwater use. I also used Partridge for salmon and lake run trout flies when I want a bigger hook or want to fish doubles.