Fly Tying

Hello everyone,

What is everyone's favorite brand of hook and can you buy them in bulk? Has anyone tried the Green Caddis hooks that are advertised on this site? The price seems to be good. Thank you!!

Another vote for Allen. Had very good customer service from them too so only good things to say from me. kamasan b175 are also a quality hook you can often get in 100s or 1000s.

I I buy hooks based on the type or style I need..I don't have a "favorite" brand. I use a lot of White River (Bass Pro's fly fishing brand, I have a Bass Pro close by), also Mustad, Daiichi. I really don't believe one brand is better than another, until you get into saltwater, etc, so I can't say there.

I have used the Green River hooks, and have had no problems.

Allen is very popular for beads and hooks.

When I got started tying back in March I bought a lot of Orvis hooks (made by Daiichi). I'm on Orvis' mailing list and sometimes get a $25 discount on a $50 purchase so it's like getting the hooks at half price.

I'm also buying and tying on Eagle Claw from Walmart.

I use the Umpqua U-Series hooks for 2x (u103) and 3x nymph (u104), 4x long streamer (u302), Standard dry fly (u001). I am also pretty sure that my scud hooks/curved nymph hooks and curved multipurpose (hopper & stimulator type) hooks are a Umpqua product. At around $6 for a 50 pack of hooks I think they are a good deal and work great for me.

I think I just got turned on to Allen Fly fishing for hooks and beads. Good prices. Veteran Discount. And Free Shipping?

Another good word for Allen. I have often ordered from them and a couple of other sites on the same night. Allen always beats the others by at least a day, often two or three. And a BIG plus. I always make sure I order at least $60 worth of beads and hooks at one time. This qualifies you for 3 free fly boxes (well a penny) and the quality of boxes has been exceptional. The cheapest ones I've gotten at great for storage and usually the quality of boxes is the two sided flip lids that sell for $7-10 on other sites. Can't beat that so it's worth getting a $60+ order together.