Fly Tying

fshng84-  Now's the time for you to head back to Medicine Park.  My experience is after they stop stocking all the shoulder to shoulder fisherman leave.  I've done well on the fly in the lower section into May. 

21 hours ago, Noahguide said:

fshng84-  Now's the time for you to head back to Medicine Park.  My experience is after they stop stocking all the shoulder to shoulder fisherman leave.  I've done well on the fly in the lower section into May. 

Would be awesome to go; stuck in the DFW metroplex with the day job. Soon as I see an opening, plan to head to Beavers Bend... else, will keep Medicine Park as a back up!

Fly Fishing for Bass with the Bass On Bed Fly #bobtail #bobfly

Back to the local pond catching bass with the variant of the BOB fly... this one has added plumes to keep the hook riding high while on the bottom. Calling it the BOBTAIL Fly.

Caught a little Bass with a Foam Grasshopper and a Sunfish... switched to the Foam Grasshopper because it was hard to see the BOBTAIL Fly due to the angle of the sun and the wind waves roiling up the water.

Spied a Bass lurking by the outflow of the waterfall pool... switched back to the BOBTAIL Fly and got his attention. Nice sized Bass that reminded us of the ones that used to lurk in the pond!

Good Stuff!

See Bass on Bed Fly video

Fly Fishing the Local Pond #foamgrasshopper Fished the local pond for Bass in hope of catching a fish or two with a new pattern modified from two variants of the BOB Fly or Bass On Bed Fly. Test was thrown a curve... bass were cruising the shallows instead of on their beds. Good thing the Foam Grasshopper was in the fly box! See more on our YouTube Channel.... COAF FIELD TEAM.

spacer.png

Bass Eating a Dragon Fly #bassfishing #flyfishing Short video of a quick trip to the local pond. Not been to this one in awhile but good to see there are bass to be caught and released! A catch and release pond that holds bass and bluegill. Was a fun time; have more video to post but wanted to get this one out.... bass jumped a lot higher than the video shows but can clearly see it came out of the water completely!

That's a shot you don't see every day!  Great luck to be in the right place at the right time.

On 3/29/2020 at 8:31 PM, mikechell said:

That's a shot you don't see every day!  Great luck to be in the right place at the right time.

Thanks! Got lucky!

Fishing a Foam Grasshopper for Bass! #flyfishing #bassfishing Here is the trip that caught a bass eating a dragonfly clear out of the water! Started out trying to catch Bass using the No Name Fly. Bass were cruising the shallows like the other day. Went to the Foam Grasshopper tied using a foam cutter that forms a Chernobyl Ant body. Used a Size 4 hook to provide increased hook setting rates. Worked on Bass and Bluegill!

I know this will get mikechell going but here goes....

Was out fishing a local creek earlier this week. Caught a few Bluegill with the 2wt flyrod but was wanting for the tenkara rod as the creek was lined with brush and offered minimal access as well as casting room.  Lots of roll casting and switch casting was the key. Unfortunately, lost the video... deleted it by accident. No worries, trip triggered your's truly to search online for tenkara sales... and with luck, found Tenkara USA was offering a 30% discount on their rods. Nice!

Noted the Iwana Tenkara Rod that we have been eyeing for several years was at our price point. Order is in... now waiting for delivery. While we wait, will take out the old Tenkara Rod and wet a line or two.  Due check back on updates on our Tenkara adventures!

I'm okay with it.  I might even buy one at some point.  I like cane pole fishing as much as any Indiana boy does!  And a nice, skinny cane pole would be a lot of fun to catch fish on.

On 4/3/2020 at 6:07 AM, mikechell said:

I'm okay with it.  I might even buy one at some point.  I like cane pole fishing as much as any Indiana boy does!  And a nice, skinny cane pole would be a lot of fun to catch fish on.

Cool... just waiting on delivery; plan to keep it in the work backpack and be ready to fish it at any opportunity!

Tenkara Rod arrived!

Fishing Updates - Tenkara Iwana Unboxing and More... #coaffieldteam #zoom #vpodcasting #fishing  Been beta testing Zoom to host virtual meetings to update Subscribers on the fly! Calling the updates Vpodcasting since it has video but follows a podcasting format.

This round the agenda was:
- TenkaraUSA Iwana Unboxing
- Recent Videos
- Field Team on Zoom

Do check out the second of two beta test of the Team's Zoom Vpodcasting efforts!

Tenkara Fishing Local Ponds.Been itching to go fishing with the TenkaraUSA Iwana tenkara rod but sidetracked with the day job. Luckily, there was break in the work schedule... able to fish a couple of ponds.

Was a tough go at first... a missed strike at the first pond, else no other bites. And then, a slow start until I figured out the pattern... Foam Grasshoppers! Had quite a few missed strikes but lots of Bluegill and one scrappy little Bass landed. Fish wanted a slow, twitchy retrieve at one end of the pond. Then, a fast retrieve at the other end.

Liking the lightweight, cast all day feel of the rod. Plus, the portability from its telescoping function makes it fit in my fishing vest (converted hunting vest) without issue. Do stay tuned for more Tenkara Fishing local ponds!

First of hopefully many fishing podcasts using the iFishNews Podcast format to expand the Team's reach to current, new, and future subscribers! This first one is a video and audio podcast with video posted on the COAF Field Team YouTube Channel and audio posted on the  iFishNews Podcast website and distributed on various RSS feeds. Do join us as we show how we fish and learn to fish by our trials and errors!
IFishNews Podcast