Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Salmo22

Giraffe Fly Tying Lamp - LED Retrofit?

After a hiatus of several years, I'm in the process of setting up a new fly tying station/desk in my home. While I retained much of my old tying gear, for some reason (i.e. grandkids), I can't find my old lamp. Previously, I had used a Giraffe lamp that I believe is still available - http://www.giraffelamps.com/fly.htm

As I recall, it was a very good lamp. However, it did seem to generate a bunch of heat. Accordingly, I'm wondering if it could be retrofitted with a LED bulb that would be cooler than the old incandescent and have a much longer service life? I'm hoping some on this forum may have already retrofitted the Giraffe lamp, or another brand, and can offer their suggestions, experiences, and recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your assistance;

Jeff

Many of us like the Ottlite. Lowes has the Ottlite CFL for $6 if you want to try it without spending $$ or until you get your Giraff retrofitted with LED.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_298198-55599-25ED12R_0__?productId=1243367&Ntt=ottlite&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dottlite&facetInfo=

Day light CFL is also getting better. Ikea also has a couple cool LED desk lamps that I would like to try out.

If you're buying a new lamp ... they probably have LED or florescent bulbs in them already.

Been meaning to order some light bulbs for the Giraffe since it seems they are no longer going to be made. LED might be an interesting replacement, but will it be color correct?

That would depend on what you buy. There are LED lamps that are sunlight correct. But I wouldn't know if they are available for the Giraffe Lamp system.

I am getting led flood light bulbs (the outdoor type) for my old architect lights. Lots of daylight spectrum light and 50000 hrs of life. Going to retire my ott lites.

I've used a Chromalux A21 100w bulb in a Giraffe and haven't noticed it being uncomfortably warm. Appears Goodwin no longer sells bulbs.

Maybe Goodwin can suggest an LED that will perform similarly or better than the Chromalux daylight???

You can get a daylight spectrum led bulb. That is even dimmable. Its a nice alternative to the compact flourescents i was using.