Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crackaig

Strung Peacock Herl

As a production tier I go through a fair quantity of materials, Today I have received a bunch of strung peacock herl in the post. It just had to share this with you, I have never seen its like.

Peacock_0001_zpsd1baa1c0.jpg

This is where I got it. It cost me £3.12 for this bunch, including P&P. He will post it worldwide. Larger quantities are available.

I have no connection with this seller, other than being a very satisfied customer.

Cheers,

C.

The strung herl does come from the same tail feathers, its just clipped and strung together. Its more compact, and for wrapping herl bodies, its just fine. The main thing you want the eyes for is the very few barbs in the eye itself that will make good stripped quill bodies.

I have not seen strung herl that long in quite some time. Great looking stuff.

Not a lot really. You can take the herls off the eyes and use them just the same. However buying it like this if far cheaper. When you are tying a lot it makes a difference. The last time I bought eyes (to strip the eye) I got 4 for about the same price as this. That isn't 10% of what I have here.

Cheers,

C.

have a bunch like that I reserve for big saltwater and musky flies. they are hard to find at times.

I logged on and for a "length" of 5 cm it says the price is £3.12. But there is £8.95 Royal Airmail postage charge which is $15.31 to the USA. I assume it is free in Britain.

I am assuming that the "length" really is the width of the section. The postage charge kind of kills the deal since I am in the USA.

I've been buying strung and bundled peacock herl for years and years. Most of what I receive is in the six to seven inch range. Don't believe I've ever seen the stuff in those lengths (and that's okay since I don't have any use for the longer lengths...). These days materials are likely to come from anywhere but I still pretty much stick with stuff from wholesalers here... At least one of my wholesalers was badly stung when good old US Customs impounded and destroyed about $5000 worth of materials after finding one or two items that hadn't been properly processed (anything chicken or duck related coming from Asia is scrutinized pretty closely because of SARS and other diseases coming from avian sources in China, India, etc.). When that happens you don't even hear what occurred until a few months after the fact (and of course my wholesaler was out every bit of the money...)when you get notified by mail from Customs.....

If you live in USA look to Michael's for strung peacock. Pretty cheap. As good quality as a fly shop.

tie_fh_peacock_jumbo_herl.jpg

I like using the jumbo herl shown above for bodies

il_340x270.441451235_lz64.jpg

I save the unbroken tip herl from an eye stick for wing topping on streamers

$15 shipping is way too much to pay

I can understand your frustration with postage charges. The price of postage here is ridiculous and getting worse.

Cheers,

C.

Curious: what's the difference between using strung herl and peacock herl eyes?

Randy

Really picky tiers, tying display quality flies, only take the herl from one side of the feather (I've forgotten which side, sorry.)

For most of us, that's over the top. I've been using strung herl for years. It's plenty good enough for fishing flies.