Fly Tying
green

lets see your muskie flies.

IM in need of some ideas on what to tie so it would be great if I could get some pics along with the recipe.

Go to the FTF Pattern Database and you'll get all the information you need. You can also search through the SBS forum. Starting another thread for this purpose is not as productive, since not all the tiers have that information "on hand".

Green, there's nothing wrong with starting a new thread. We actually haven't had a Muskie one in a while.

Here are a few I've done lately, although I'm not that good at these. There's a good YouTube video of Brad Bowen tying the Optic Minnow, just bucktail, Krystal flash, and feathers:

136187bf156ef37d9386ceb4ac110c61_zps9dfe

8ba56042f14840b58ea32c6b652944fe_zps499f

c9e72acb2e09710c6d5d9ff4d75d6c2b_zps7977

I'd also like to see what's working for folks this season. I may go get after some Tuesday.

Search PIKE flies in the database there are dozens which should give you a good start. They don't need to be complicated, just BIG.

yes. Large 4 inch + surface baits work well. Look at the size of plugs used on the top, gopher lures, heddon, bucher top water to name just a few. A gurgler works well as you can pop it or wake it depending on the fish mood.

yes. Large 4 inch + surface baits work well. Look at the size of plugs used on the top, gopher lures, heddon, bucher top water to name just a few. A gurgler works well as you can pop it or wake it depending on the fish mood.

Yup, and a 4" is considered small by some bass anglers as well, anything up to a foot long will serve you well. I'd also look for a fly that pushes water, they're more noticeable to fish.

Personally, I love looking at the big stuff. Is a nice change for a while. Bright colors, long saddle feathers and flashy! Beautiful flies. Buy the way, I also enjoy looking at the small stuff too, actually I love looking at all flies. I have since I was a young kid. Nothing like scooping up a handful of red humpies or royal coachmans and admiring them. I don't even fish for pike and musky but I have still tied some just to hold them in my hand and look at them. I live in Kansas and have even tied some salt water flies just to look at them. LOL .

Yup, and a 4" is considered small by some bass anglers as well, anything up to a foot long will serve you well. I'd also look for a fly that pushes water, they're more noticeable to fish.

Whopper plopper fly? I think I even have an Idea! Foam tail attached to the hook with a swivel so that it will spin, a hollow bucktail body and a foam head.

ive tied a few like the black one in several different colors. the bass and pike like them but no musky yet. Is the chartreuse and white fly (2nd down) tied with marabou or bucktail?