Fly Tying

Hey Everyone,

I am normally just fishing for trout in SouthEastern Minnesota but recently I got the chance to head up to Park Rapids to stay with my girlfriend at her cabin for a whole week. It is on Long Lake; it apparently holds walleye, pike, bass, and sunnies. I am trying to go for walleye or pike. So I have a few questions...

1) where should I be searching for them? I never really fished a lake and don't understand where the fish will be holding.

2) What flies should I be tying? Any favorite patterns out there that you would kindly share with me?

3) how should I be retrieving? So basically what technique should I be using?

4) I own a 5 wt rod. What should I be getting for leaders and such(setup)?

5) what do you think you this fly pictured here for them?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!post-53393-0-14501700-1406502598_thumb.jpg

Im a big fan of the Rio Knotable Wire Tippet. Havnt had a pike or walleye bite through yet.

For Walleye Iv used clousers and buggers. Olive works great.

Im no expert by any means. Cast and retreive through the weeds and you should hook up.

Just got back from Northern Ontario. The weather and walleye location didn't allow me to fly fish for them. Did have some success with smallmouth and pike.

1. Where to find them.

Pike- the big ones will mostly be deep following the bait fish. Smaller ones should be in shallower water. I picked up a 25 incher on a top water lure in about 5 feet of water and a smaller one off a beaver hut. Weedy areas, beaver huts, fallen trees, docks.

Walleye- Most likely in 15-30 feet of water. You may find smaller ones around the same type of structure as pike. If you have access to a boat look for them around shoals or humps in the lake. From shore look for areas where there's a drop off into deeper water.

2. What should I be tying

Walleye- Clousers and woolly buggers. Clousers- olive/white, green/white, green/yellow, all white. Buggers- black, olive, brown, all white

Pike- streamers, 3 to 6 inches long. All white works well for me, red/white, red/yellow

3. Retrieves

Walleye- slow and on the bottom

Pike- I like a fast retrieve. If you see one following, slow or stop your retrieve and then speed it up, This seems to induce a strike

4. Set up

I use a 6 wgt most of the time though I do have an 8 wgt

Pike- I use either a intermediate or fast sink tip with a 6 foot fluorocarbon leader- either 20. 25 or 30 lb tes

Walleye- fast sink tip with a the same leader set up

5. The fly

Pike should like it. Should work for walleye to. Tie some up in the colors I suggested for the clousers and the buggers

Stop by the local bait shop and pick up a topo map of the lake. Ask where and what they've been catching them on. Good luck with the pike.

As a lifelong (well 40+ years anyway) resident of Minnesota, I would have to say that targeting Minnesota's state fish with fly gear will be difficult. They are usually found near the bottom of any body of water and that is not the forte of fly fishing. BUT if you are sure you want to do this then I suggest you use a full sinking line and heavily weighted woolly buggers (leeches), jigs of various sizes (3/8 oz - 1/4 oz will do) tied any way you like. During the day, they will be deep near structure. In the evening/night, they will move into the shallower areas. Look for rocks and structure ( under water mounts, steep drop offs, etc.) AND...have a spinning rod with some leeches and/or shiners nearby with a Lindy rig on it. smile.png

P.S. Park Rapids is a great area. If you haven't been there before, you will love it.

Hey Everyone,

I am normally just fishing for trout in SouthEastern Minnesota but recently I got the chance to head up to Park Rapids to stay with my girlfriend at her cabin for a whole week.

You're going to have time to fish????