Fly Tying
Troutbum11

Fly Reel for an 8wt

Anyone here have any good recommendations for a relatively inexpensive fly reel for an 8wt? I'm hoping to use it for pike and some for bass. I would like to stay under 50 bucks if possible.

Thanks in advance!

-Ryan

I have a couple of Okuma Integrity reels that I use on my 8 to 10 wt rods & for the price like them very much. They're around the $50 price depending on the seller.

They're a bit heavy compared to some of the more expensive reels, but I still like them for bass & even Striper fishing.

You might want to look at the SLV model too. It's lighter than the Integrity.

The Angler's Roost has a 7/8wt reel on clearance - 303L in black for about $40. i've only used their reels for trout but haven't had an issue with any of the 4 I've bought. Great reel for the price.

You might be able to find a used Ross Cimarron for around that price. I use one for smallmouth and largemouth fishing and it has served me well for years. It is not fancy but it is reasonably rugged and has a decent drag for for fish that won't be doing scorching 100 yd runs.

Steve

I managed to pick up some Lamson Konic reels for $100 Canadian at Cabelas that were discontinued. Bought up a bunch of spools from a place in Montana ( senior moment and can't remember) for $50ish Canadian.

Really impressed, more than your budget but I'm worth it! Lol

Cabela's has there prestige reel in that price range and it is a very nice really for the money. I have it in a 8wt I like it a lot.

I tend to buy inexpensive reels as I really can't see dropping 2, 3 $400 on a reel. Recently I purchased two Pretige Plus reels in 8wt from Cabelas. I bought two so I can have one for parts if I need it, as I've heard once they discontinue a model getting parts can be hard. On sale, a Prestige Plus will set you back $29. I recently took it to Alaska for silvers and chums and I had zero issues and it performed as well as any other reel. How will it hold up over years of use? At $29 I'm certain I don't really care if I have it any more than a couple of seasons.

I also have a Okuma SLV (3 wt though) and it performs just fine too. They make 7/8 wts & it would probably be just as the 3 wt.

I've read that Okuma (lower end) and Lamson (higher end) make Cabelas reels.

It seems like the Cabela reels are on sale every 2-3 months.

Let me ask what are you fishing for? For people like me who fish light for panfish, and hand-strip their line, all a reel is is a thing to store the line on between trips. Size 8 suggests to me you may be going after big game in which case you need a reel with a good drag, otherwise they can strip all the line off your reel. My favorite if you can still find one is a Pfleuger Medalist, but I wouldn't use it for pike or muskies, bonefish, etc.

I have a fellow rod builder that sells some great reels , fully machined T6 aluminum disc drags really nice reels for about $80-$100. I own at least 5 of them myself. I don't want to come across as a salesman for him so I wont post the info here, but If you want his contact PM me.

Steve

If you don't mind buying used a Medalist can be had on flea bay for around $30 if you are willing to watch the auctions. There have been thousands of salmon caught on them so I am sure they will handle pike. Historiclly many have been used in the salt too. Depending on your rod a 1495 or even a 1595 would work very well. The 1500 series reels are heavier but they have an exposed spool rim for better drag control. IMO don't hesitate to get one of the later Chinese versions either. I fish 2 of them and they function very well. They are available as new on the bay. If you opt for an old used USA version it will probably need a good cleaning and lube but It is not difficult to preform that little job. I personally would stay away from the Japan models. I don't care for them at all.

I bought an original back in the 1950s which I still use.. Bought a Chinese one $14 on a site that had a limited quantity. Haven't used it yet but I can't tell any difference between them. It's sad though to see all the US and English companies selling out.

I picked up the 3/4 wt reel in camo and it is really nice. Getting ready to order a 7/8 for $24 and free shipping. It comes from China but I'm sure they make for some of the store brands you buy over here for four times the money. Ben Treppa turned me on to these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370734730817?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=640057502355&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I saw these cheap reels on ebay as well and hesitated because it just seemed to good to be true. Just wasn't sure what the quality would be like, but it sounds like I should look into them a bit more. Thanks for all the replies guys. Really helpful!

Troutbum... I'm not like you. I always want to actually see and hold in my hand something before I buy it, or at least get good reviews from someone I think knows what they're talking about. I only shop online for things I'm sure of, and even then I'd prefer to buy it from a store if it is available. Remember: Let the buyer beware!