Fly Tying
jfinn

Material inventory

I've just started tying flies. I've thought keeping an inventory would be good. That way when I was going through books and you tube videos I would know if I already had the stuff to make the flies I was learning about! I still haven't sat down and done it but I do intend to do it soon.

I thought about doing an inventory but to much of a hassle to me. If I see a fly I am interested in tying I just go get what I need...LOL...When I leave this ole earth someone will have a hell of a collection I suppose!

Like a lot of the folks here I have been tying for a number of years. This means that I have a large number of things that I have bought that I no longer have any memory of. I occasionally rediscover things when I am rooting through a drawer, and like a previous poster I have stuff from decades ago that I have not used up. I actually did start to make up a materials inventory in Excel a few months ago but I got through hooks and beads and realized that for it to have any use I would have to go into it and note the use of every material every time I sat down to tie. That is not happening.

Steve

I don't need a list for inventory, I need a list for what I bought that I don't remember why and what I bought it for smile.png

inventory ??

after 40+ years he!! no ! to much stuff, enough for 6 lifetimes. just in hooks alone over 8,000+.

I have never kept an inventory. I dunno on the going to a fly shop and leaving with things I didn't need. I guess it's important to make a list before you go to any store. I used to keep a fly tying journal. I could test flies out in a coffe mug full of water to check if they worked,(floated). also kept weather, stream conditions, what worked what didn't. I think that kept me pretty busy or was what was important....rrrrr?

Aside from fishing my main hobby is application development. How many of you guys would be interested in an app where you select the materials you currently own from perhaps an assortment of expandable charts and then you could see what flies you were able to tie? I'm imagining the flies would be broken down into categories so it is not overwhelming, like streamerxs, nymphs, emergers, etc.

Aside from fishing my main hobby is application development. How many of you guys would be interested in an app where you select the materials you currently own from perhaps an assortment of expandable charts and then you could see what flies you were able to tie? I'm imagining the flies would be broken down into categories so it is not overwhelming, like streamerxs, nymphs, emergers, etc.

Hello FlyTyerJake,

I could see where an app like that would be beneficial...Huge database though because there is some material that can be used on several flies...

"How many of you guys would be interested in an app where you select the materials you currently own from perhaps an assortment of expandable charts and then you could see what flies you were able to tie?"

if you take for example one material such as peacock herl, wouldn't your app have to contain a massive amount of flies containing peacock herl?

just doing a GOOGLE search for "flies using peacock herl" come up with a massive amount of flies.

viewing an app on a smartphone is just way too small for me. I would rather GOOGLE fly patterns and view them on a 22 inch monitor rather than a smartphone screen

I bet you would sell that app to every new person coming into fly tying. A little too late for the real "boom" of several years ago, but you'd sell a bunch.

For me, as with most people who remember how "MAIL ORDER" got the name, fly tying / fishing is for FUN. Maintaining an accurate inventory is WORK. As others have stated, I have enough materials probably to last me the rest of my life if I never buy another package. Obviously, I have materials I go through quickly, and some which will likely be in their unopened packs if I die of old age in 45 years. I have them loosely organized in bins and drawers, and every time I go searching for a particular material I get reminded of other things I have and should use.

I don't inventory my materials but I do keep a recipe for lots of my patterns so I can recreate them. I make sure to record hook type and size and material sizes (beads, lead, wire, etc). I also make note of any little tricks i use to tie them so I don't forget. It comes in real handy when I burn through all of a pattern I don't tie often enough to have memorized.

I will think about this app idea and keep you guys in touch.. It looks like currently the file size will be very very large, soooo unless I can find a way to compile the lists in a very small file this probably won't go anywhere.. :/

I have an inventory system I wrote 10 years ago. Its a database using Microsoft Access that has all my materials and tools and where they are located. If I find a pattern I would like to try I can check it against my inventory and buy what I don't have. I've been tying since 1965 so I have a bunch of stuff. Fish both salt and fresh. I'm a bit anal so not a problem keeping track. As I get older it really helps instead of trying to remember where and what I have. And it helps that I'm retired so I can afford to spend a little time keeping it current without cutting into my fishing time.

Thought about matching it to patterns but that would require a lot of work to enter all the patterns, materials, sizes etc., etc., etc..