Fly Tying
FlaFly

Question: hook choice for streamers

I've been fly fishing since 1958 but when it comes to tying streamers, I'm a rank beginner. A few weeks back I asked about choices of flies for crappies, and came to the conclusion that I need to tie some streamers, charlies, clousers, etc. Regarding streamers, when I look at pics on the database, and on google images, I see some streamers tied on long shank hooks, where the barb is at least an inch or more behind the head. I also recall a discussion some time back about whether fish (crappies in this case) attack the head of a minnow or the tail. See where I'm heading? I also see some tied with short shank hooks, and rather wide gap.

If you were tying a streamer for crappies, what kind of hook would you use? Kind... not brand... generally what shape hook am I looking for? I've got a lot of hooks, some of which may work, or not. Also I'm guessing size 6, or maybe 4. Right?

Clousers, Mylar minnows. do some 8s and 10 as well. Jig heads? Ive tied on curved scuds hooks and added chain link eyes.

Sparce chartuse / white ?

I like long shank 8 or 10 ... maybe a size 6. I tie the streamer type fly so that all the materials stop even with the hook bend ... maybe just a little longer. This puts the hook at the back, where crappie and bream like to hit.

Thanx Mike.... that's what I'm looking for. I have a few of your posted pics (a Charlie and an Attractor) that show what you mean. Are those long shank or medium or what?

The Attractor is tied on 8 or 10 long shank hooks. Eagle Claw brand from Wal-Mart. I like them because they are inexpensive. A side benefit is they are somewhat flexible. If I am hung up, I can put steady pressure on them and they'll straighten enough to come free, usually. I can then re-bend the hook and keep fishing. I can do this two or three times before the hook breaks.

I've used scud hooks, but not for streamers.

For panfish in smaller sizes for flies that will ride inverted (Clouser style) I also like a long shank hook. A couple of brands make them in premium quality fly hooks, but a basic Aberdeen works too. I use both, but won't pay full price for the better hooks. I'll only buy them when I can find them at cheaper prices. For other streamers where the hook point is down, I'll use hooks with various shank lengths. My preference has been for round bend hooks, but I've used the Limerick bend style streamer hooks too. I haven't found that it matters much which style to use for panfish as long as the fly is not over dressed for the hook size, so for me it's simply personal preference to use the round bend hooks.

If you need a recommendation for a longer shank hook, take a look at the Allen S404.

For Aberdeen style, South Bend markets some that are pretty good for use in panfish flies & are priced reasonably.

Thanks guys. Among my hoard of hooks (hookhoard :-) I have Eagle Claw Aberdeens size 6 in standard and long shank, also some in light wire like Mike uses. Also have Daichi 1260s in several sizes... not exactly Limerick but close. All of the 8s have are light wire round bend, standard shank. I catch bluegills on 8s and 6s routinely, and crappies have larger mouths than bluegills, so I'm going to start out with 6 for regular streamers and 6-long for clouser-style. I have fur and hackle, and lots of various color "feather" duster fibers... have to shop for some marabou, of which I have none left. I love the white marabou streamers and imagine a crappie would too, so I have to try my hand at one or two of those.

FlaFly, when I start tying Clouser style flies down that small for Crappies, I like to use ostrich herl fibers or a soft hair such as fox or coyote.

I've posted these before, but here's a group of simple feather wing streamers I like for Crappies & Perch. Tied on a Gamakatsu B10s in size 6. Allen has a similar hook they call their Bass Bug Hook. They work well in the shallow tidal waters I fish most often, especially in early spring when the fish move into shallower water to spawn.

100_4519.jpg

Thanx TWFly

I have enough stuff to tie a few of those, maybe in several different colors, right away. Think I'll give them a try.

P.S. I assume you used lead wire or something to sink them? Can't see the bodies in the pictures.

for my crappie flies I use at least a size 6. They have big mouths. A couple of years ago I was fishing a prespawn group of nice crappies with #10 Clouser Deep Minnows and found that I was losing a lot of fish because the small hook was just catching in the very thin part of the mouth and pulling out. Went to a size 6 and the problem was greatly diminished. Don't forget the bait fishermen generally use a size 2 or 1 for crappies. I have had no reason to use anything other than a standard shank hook. One of my favorite crappie flies is on a size 6 standard dry fly hook, marabou tail as long as the shank, body of ice dub, and a bead head. That's it. I also used to do exceptionally well on crappies in a few lakes down in Alabama on size 6 CDM in purple over black. The water was stained and for some reason that color combo really worked well. If not purple/black, then chartreuse/white is always on the menu. Don't overcomplicate things...

FlaFly, there's no weight in the above flies, but you could add lead wire if you wish. The bodies are nothing more than holographic mylar wrapped along the shank over a thread base. I do weight most of my flies, but not all. As I said, these are fished in shallow water, 4' or less and once wet they sink fine, but rather slowly. I usually fish these on a floating line, but could use a sinking line with them if the water was deeper. Many times the take is near the surface.

One of my favorite crappie flies is on a size 6 standard dry fly hook, marabou tail as long as the shank, body of ice dub, and a bead head.

Joel, I tie a similar fly, but use the various cactus chenille or Estaz materials for the body. Looks a bit like a standard Crappie jig with some flash. I agree with you, they don't need to be complicated. smile.png

The size and style of the hook depends on the target species and fly pattern. Streamers can be tied on anything from a size 10 on up. The length of the shank (designated by an X) is determined by the pattern you want to tie. For example a size 6 or 4 - 3x would be an average size hook for a woolybugger. 3x and 4x are most commonly used for streamers. Aberdeens look like they might be equivalent to a 4x shank but they look like a very thin wire and might not be up to the task on a larger fish or on a snag. If you use a bead or cone I would use the longer shank (4x).

Thanx again all. I always had a feeling that in turbid water, a black or dark fly would be less visible than pure white or yellow but it seems lots of people like black and purple, so who am I to doubt? I'll try that too. Since our Florida lakes are all shallow, I'll dispense with the added weight. Maybe I'll add a bit of epoxy to the head and add a little weight. I plan to tie it onto a leader and count how many seconds it takes to sink to the bottom of my swimming pool. That way I can cast, count, and then start retrieving at just the right depth.

In the lakes where I fish, there are no submerged trees or serious stuff like that... just submerged veggies like hydrilla. Since I'm in a canoe, I figure I can handle snags with a stout shank. If I want to fish from shore, I'd probably do what Mike does, and use a fine wire hook. I also think a clouser type with the barb above might be less apt to get snagged. Maybe I'll learn the hard way.

Looks like I've got a lot of tying to do. White, yellow, yellow-chartreuse, black-purple, clouser eyes or not.

P.S. other than the eyes being more toward the front end, what's the difference between a Charlie and a clouser. Inquiring minds want to know.

Fishing Florida waters, I forgo the weight, too. A slow sinking fly, I've found, gets more hits than one that rockets to the bottom and gets lost in the weeds or muck.