Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salarfishing

Hello Everyone

Hi there, my name is Doug. I'm another fishing and fly tying nut that found this cool forum - nice to meet you all. My addiction - Atlantic Salmon. I am from Maine originally and grew up fishing the Miramachi, Restigouche and Matapedia Rivers often. I really enjoy the fly tying hobby and it's rewarding to catch fish with your own flies. Here's just a few popular/classic patterns for those river that I whipped up for next year (which can't come quick enough). Cheers!

post-54465-0-44994600-1417187874_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the site Doug. I hope your Holiday weekend is progressing well.

Maine is too far North for me, I'll stick to the Florida winters for now.

I would comment on your flies, but I know very little about classic patterns.

Hello, another silver nut, cant have too many. Do you fish mainly hooks or do you fish tubes? Are run was poor this season but Jan 12th it starts again. Look forward to seeing more of your flies and fish.

Hey Piker,

I've been tying some tubes and really like fishing them, but they are not nearly as popular in Eastern Canada and hook flies - at least not yet - but they are gaining popularity every year. I remember all my fishing buddies thought I was crazy fishing them 5 or 6 years ago, but they're warming up to it.

Seems as though the runs were poor all over the world this past season - alarming so on many rivers. Something happened out a sea that did not go well for the salmon for sure.

Jealous about your fishing season there! We have about 3 months to fit in as much as we can every year... Tight lines!

Jealous about your fishing season there! We have about 3 months to fit in as much as we can every year... Tight lines!

I feel your pain, Salar. Here in Florida, we have about 3 weeks when it's a little too cold or windy to fish ... I hate Winter!

Welome aboard! Looks like you have tied some beautiful looking flies! Very nice indeed!!!!

Hey Mike, 3 weeks! Maybe I need to become a snowbird....

I should rephrase that ... 3 weeks total, but not all at once. Through the winter, we might have 20 or so days that are not conducive to comfortable fishing.

Snowbirds are snowbirds for a reason.

Conversely, if you can't stand our Florida summers, you don't deserve our winters... :-) Boy, I'll bet our department of tourism would love hearing that.

I have no problem with snow birds, I am quite glad to see them go in the summer. I'd hate to share the water with some of the car drivers I deal with during the winter.

If everybody felt as I do ... that humans didn't evolve to be in cold temps ... Florida would be even more overcrowded than it is. I came from the evolutionary tree that developed WARM climate bodies ... no fur, no blubber ... I hate cold weather.

I was joking with my reply. But it's interesting to realize that most of the early settling and expansion in North American took place in the north.... New England and Canada. (Brrrrrr!) It's a wonder those early settlers ever survived as they moved west into Ohio or Michigan! They had to lay by enough food to hold them over the winter, plus build a cabin, and lay by a supply of firewood to keep them alive till spring. Florida didn't become a state for 3 or 4 more centuries.