Fly Tying
Piker20

DECEMBER FLY from the bench

Thanks for the link Ray, Vicrider provided a video and I wondered why she was so liberal with glue. I used some uv resin to toughen up the head and tail wraps. I can see rainbow trout and autumn browns nailing this pattern.

post-33535-0-88369600-1419323564_thumb.jpgA table full of North Country spiders and traditional flies.

I've filmed tying them all and uploading to Youtube as I can, will post on here as well.

I know its been debated ad nauseum, but traditional patterns can be just as successful as modern ones with synthetics. Trout and insects haven't changed! If they caught a century ago, they'll catch today.

Season's best wishes. Enjoy!

Simon

Piker20, you sure took the concept to new horizons in a hurry. I've done a few with different braid and they all look good. Has a great minnow shape for sure. Won't be all that long here before the weather makes it's spring turn and the crappie in a couple of lakes start to really turn on. They're going to have a good chance to give their approval to this concept for sure.

I just stumped up for some new micro chenilles in straggle, fritz and normal to have a play with these a bit more. I've been invited to a loch which throws up 3+lb wild browns early and late season so I reckon these minnows will be an easy treat for a foraging brown.

Michael, All I can see there is a black spot. I'm sure that isn't hat you want to give your daughter!

That's better. Those mounts are something I always have with me when tying at a show. Sooner or later someone will turn up with a bored daughter in tow. I do her some ear rings and they love them. I'm sure your daughter will too.

Cheers,

C.

Oi Colin, come on, tell us where! Those are huge fish for around here, or is it further afield?

Cheers,

C.

HaHa, I'll spill after I've not failed to catch one! Seriously its loch Moy down past Inverness.

Here are some minnows using herl as a inner body.

Cypretminnows003_zpsac99842d.jpgCypretminnows002_zpsb7144594.jpg

The Shoal

Cypretminnows009_zpsf023b543.jpg

Thanks Crackaig,

I appreciate your sense of humor. I have done many different fly earrings but my favorite is a glow in the dark crease fly. My wife has those, and when she wants to get my attention she puts those on.

Merry Christmas to all,

Michael

Thirstea, the 'rules' would state that the tail and topping tips meet at the back and the point of the wing generally extends to almost touching these. When tying flies for fishing it really doesn't matter and you can use some of the feathers that are maybe not suitable for frame flies.

Gotcha! The big word that i didn't pick up on was that he's swinging it. So the rule/guideline is, if it's being framed, then it matters.. if it's being fished, eh.. not so much, so use the lower grade/shorter/not perfectly arched ones.

So ya made the trip over from OFF eh? Piker got it, they should meet or in the case of many irish flies the tail can be longer than the topping, in this case it takes some getting used to to know how much longer that is.

montrealwhore_zpsa9bb830f.jpg

Montreal Whore

Hook: Your favorite

Thread: Black

Tag & Ribbing: Silver embossed tinsel

Body: Orange wool

Under wing: Red, white & blue buck tail in equal amounts

Over wing: White marabou

Optional: Painted eyes (white then black)

Tying note: The under wing can be tied in individual layers but for simplicity I mixed them together as they would end up when fished.

A quick Dee this morning

2014.12.25.dryfly.me_.dee_-1024x1024.jpg

Wings didn't sit right, but in water this will have a amazing flow!

2014.12.25.dryfly.me_.dee_close-1024x102