Fly Tying
Piker20

DECEMBER FLY from the bench

Thirstea, the 'rules' would state that the tail and topping tips meet at the back and the point of the wing generally extends to almost touching these. When tying flies for fishing it really doesn't matter and you can use some of the feathers that are maybe not suitable for frame flies.

Gotcha! The big word that i didn't pick up on was that he's swinging it. So the rule/guideline is, if it's being framed, then it matters.. if it's being fished, eh.. not so much, so use the lower grade/shorter/not perfectly arched ones.

So ya made the trip over from OFF eh? Piker got it, they should meet or in the case of many irish flies the tail can be longer than the topping, in this case it takes some getting used to to know how much longer that is.

Sup Chris! Yeah man.. So much knowledge about tying here its awesome.

Thanks for the added info!

Some more beautiful flies from you, Eide. I don't know a thing about classic flies, but those creations of yours are very pretty to look at.

So, I'm ending the month with a pack of rats and other bugs tied in the last several days. the largest bottom rat was actuslly tied by Pat Cohen (used as a reference)

post-4571-0-23489600-1419787092_thumb.jpg

Bruce,

You always do beautiful work; I've been impressed since I joined FlyTyingForum. The rats look real as far as I am concerned, and I have shot a few over the years in our barns. The rough coats are by far my favorite, but really, I love them all.

Even before you watched Mike's CD, you were a super deer hair tyer; I suppose now you are better, but even though Mike and I are friends and he does top world quality, you are up there, too. You didn't need the CD to do beautiful work.

Ray

Thanks for the kind words, and no, I probably don't need any ones videos but for me, I pickup slight things (a technique or angle)that may not be explained which leads to giving me another tool to get the end results. Besides that, there's always two ways to skin a cat, the more I view the more I learn (good or bad :) )

My newest YouTube tutorial is out, featuring a micronymph midge called the Sluiceway Special. This fly has been popularized by Aaron Jasper and is what I consider a "guide fly" being that it's an easy tie and very effective. Sealing the body with head cement strengthens the overall pattern, while also creating a wonderful sheen. Enjoy!

TC

2014.12.31.dryfly.me_.blue_charm_lineup-

Ending this year with some Blue Charms, thanks for a great thread (again) and inspiration from so many people in here!

Yes its been a great 2014. Look forward to seeing everyone's efforts in 2015. Hopefully see some silver hung on your hooks this year Harvard.

This has been a busy month for me. Even sold a few flies. :)

Shrimps, weedless minnows, bendbacks, tiny dries, foam EB mayflies, a big articulated streamer I have named "Unfair Advantage" a tarpon cochroach or two, and my best winged wet ever. Tell me what y'all think.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

December fly tying was terrestrials, mostly for a xmas gift for my sister. She fishes on high mountain lakes and last summer, ants were productive. She had called me one night while out on a lake, and when I asked how fishing was, she said "nothing biting". I suggested she try an ant pattern. She called me back and hour later, very pleased with six nice trout. The kicker was, she said she was heading to the fly shop to buy some more ants.

Shame on me, nobody in my family should have to buy flies. So, I spent some time at the vise and equipped her for next summer with 4 dozen. My tying does not compare to most I see here, but I think it will be functional.

post-52320-0-67661400-1420051156_thumb.jpg

post-52320-0-12194400-1420051182_thumb.jpg

post-52320-0-85262200-1420051206_thumb.jpg