Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Getagrip

Two Bit Hooker Fly Question

I am going to try and tye this pattern and have looked at the INTHERIFFLE Video on how to put this fly together. This fly is tyed in many colors but I do not know what the material changes are when say going from a Tan to a Red color. Is it just the dubbing?

Thanks

Steve

The only two items of color that are variable in the pattern, in my opinion, are body color and ribbing. Google shows me many of these variations. Throw off your inhibitions and "...do what you will."

Since many nymphs are the same color all body segments, your thorax dubbing and main tying thread should match closely. A wire or contrasting thread rib, and a hackle that also matches the body color. So there will be three things to change when changing these nymphs. The thread, dubbing, and hackle would all match. Ribbing could simply be a bit of copper, gold or silver wire or a contrasting thread color.

There are NO rules in fly tying that can't be broken. Its your fly, so tie it any way you want, and see what works for you.

Thanks for the advice on this fly. I think I have a good idea of how to change from one color to another.

Steve

charlie cravens 2 bit hooker

Beanie%20May%20tiffs%20035.jpg

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=157

variables

you can change dubbing color

you can change ribbing color

you can change tail color

you can change hackle/leg color

you can change bead color

you can change tinsel color

you can change thread color

you can change hook style

be creative. experiment

I see on Charlie's website that he says UV is not reliable and he uses 5 minute epoxy. I wonder if that same hold true for Henry's Silvercreek UV resin?

I don't like using a $25.00 product when a $4.00 product will do. Loctite GO2 will make fine wing cases on these flies, and no special curing light is necessary. It does take a while to setup, so you would have to rotate the fly. I use an old motor from a grill to turn my flies on. One other thing about the GO2 glue, is that it will setup soft, not rock hard like the UV resins.