Fly Tying
grassonfly

looking for some constructive criticism

I am getting back into fly tying after about a year hiatus. What can I improve in with my ep minnow? I am going to toss it at redfish and sea trout.post-43089-0-85598700-1421712182_thumb.jpg

Not an expert on EP flies but have heard that they are pretty translucent. I can see the red backdrop from behind the fly through it. Don't know if that's translucent (thin) enough or not but the Salt guys may chime in and hopefully provide some direction.

This reminds me that I need to try tying them (EP flies) again.

Like the shape though (again, unless the salt guys think it should be different).

BCT

I think it's a beauty! That looks sparse enough to me. The problem with making them too thick is, not only are they not translucent like they should be, but they can be tough to get below the surface because the material sheds wage on the false casts and then lands and sits on the surface if too thick. The only thing I would do is add a bit of flash, which really comes through nicely when they are sparse and translucent. That bit of flash with a sparse fly can be really effective when the water is gin clear.

If you wrapped it with lead wire, it would overcome the floatiness somewhat. I think it's real pretty. Not sure how big it is, but if it's mimicking a herring or shad, you might add a little dark green color on top (can do with markers). I don't fly fish saltwater, but fished with spinning tackle for years.

-be pretty hard to improve on what you have there... I'd want to do a few variations on that basic color combo. The only thing I think you'll find is that those nice holographic eyes don't hold up very well if any fish chew on that fly. I suspect that's why Puglisi uses hard plastic doll eyes instead.

My best advice is to use that bug until it's no longer usable -then tie another one and repeat. My guess is that anything you put it in front of will take without hesitation. Once again... very good bug.

It looks to me like there is flash already in the fibers you tied it with. If its EP fiber then there should flash in it.

Here in the NE these flys are very popular because of the peanut bunker we have around. Black on top and purple on the bottom is a hot combo everywhere, why.....don't know but it works. Your tye is spot on well done.

That's a great shape. I'm with some of the other posts. Use some markers to give it a little contrasting color. Dark along the back, maybe ... or vertical strips, like a pin fish.

Plain white will catch fish, usually. A little contrast will often get more interest.

I usually use pearl polar flash or pearl flashabou. You don't need much, 3-4 strands at most. I usually tie it in after the initial clump so it runs through the body to the tail.